Mystery Sea Monster skeleton found

Not surprising.

There is so much we do not know about our oceans, despite the fact that they cover more than 95% of our planet. We have actually explored more of Mars with rovers than our own seas. There are bound to be new species of amphibious creatures in the deep. Some of these will almost certainly date back millions of years and have survived through catastrophic events on Earth that changed the course of their land-dwelling counterparts.

If you have access to Discovery+ and have not yet watched the series, I recommend watching Expedition Deep Ocean. This mini-series covers a multi-millionaire explorer (Victor Vescovo - Commander, US Navy, retired) and his attempts to reach the deepest depth of five of the world's largest oceans (the Five Deeps) in a custom DDSV. With a scientific crew in tow, they gather and capture on film new species during the series, but this only the tip of a very large iceberg, and there is much more out there.

Hopefully, with subs now pushing the boundaries of human engineerings, such as the DSV Limiting Factor which was designed and built by Triton Submarines, we will discover more about this elusive world beneath the waves.

During the series, they discover one creature that leaves the scientists speechless. I have posted a clip of what they captured below. If creatures like this can exist at these depths, what else will we find over time?

During the series, they discover one creature that leaves the scientists speechless. I have posted a clip of what they captured below.

Looks like CGI to me. Not even close to being realistic looking. More like a cartoon.

Looks like CGI to me. Not even close to being realistic looking. More like a cartoon.

Unfortunately, this is a real-deal, bioluminescent sea creature that was found 1,000's of feet down in the Indian Ocean. No CGI needed ;) It is believed to a part of the Duobrachium Sparksae family of deep ocean jellyfish.

However, your comment has me intrigued.

Why would an expedition to the deepest depths of the five main oceans on our planet need to CGI a non-existent (if it actually was....) creature on their documentary? Surely the whole idea of the expedition was to discover and show us new life. What would they gain by faking it? It is not as if they were hunting for aliens underwater. Now that I could potentially understand, especially if certain paranormal celebrities were involved in making the documentary...........:tearsofjoy:

Not surprising.

There is so much we do not know about our oceans, despite the fact that they cover more than 95% of our planet. We have actually explored more of Mars with rovers than our own seas. There are bound to be new species of amphibious creatures in the deep. Some of these will almost certainly date back millions of years and have survived through catastrophic events on Earth that changed the course of their land-dwelling counterparts.

If you have access to Discovery+ and have not yet watched the series, I recommend watching Expedition Deep Ocean. This mini-series covers a multi-millionaire explorer (Victor Vescovo - Commander, US Navy, retired) and his attempts to reach the deepest depth of five of the world's largest oceans (the Five Deeps) in a custom DDSV. With a scientific crew in tow, they gather and capture on film new species during the series, but this only the tip of a very large iceberg, and there is much more out there.

Hopefully, with subs now pushing the boundaries of human engineerings, such as the DSV Limiting Factor which was designed and built by Triton Submarines, we will discover more about this elusive world beneath the waves.

During the series, they discover one creature that leaves the scientists speechless. I have posted a clip of what they captured below. If creatures like this can exist at these depths, what else will we find over time?

Wow! I am going to check this out !

Unfortunately, this is a real-deal
No, it is not. It is CGI.

It may represent a recreation of something real but the video itself is a computer-generated animation.

It doesn't even look vaguely real and it's hard to believe anyone would be fooled by it but take a look at some real footage of deep sea beds for starters.

Last edited:
take a look at some real footage of deep sea beds for starters.

Not an argument, but a friendly debate ;)

Okay, the oceans are split into five depth zones - Sunlight, Twilight, Midnight, Abyss and Hadal. The deepest we had ever taken pictures of the ocean floor from up to 2014 was within the Midnight zone (3,300 - 13,100 feet), which as a reference, the Titanic currently lies in at a depth of 12,500 feet. There are two main reasons for this.

Firstly, this was at the edge of submersible craft crush depth. This includes DSV craft. Even military submarines can only reach 12,400 feet before feeling the effects of the ocean's pressure upon the hull, which is around 5,400 psi at that depth. Secondly, camera equipment prior could only reach 31,000 feet prior to imploding. So, for starters, nobody has seen real footage of deep ocean beds before, so no comparison can be made.

It was not until James Cameron dived the Mariana Trench in 2014 that we got our first glimpse of the deep sea bed. And you know what? It looks almost exactly the same as Victor's exploration almost 6 years later, even though he dived a further 600feet below Cameron's depth. Did Cameron also CGI his whole experience......?

Cameron's footage/mini-documentary:

Victor's footage/mini-documentary:

Notice the different lifeforms caught on camera during the dives? Have these also been CGI'd? What about these guys that we actually know quite a bit about:

5baeab1a2400005100967b55.jpeg
images.jpg
jellyfish-mariana.jpg
Mariana.snailfish.CTview4.AdamSummers.jpg

new_featured_art_leadoption2-jelly2_300dpi.jpg

Just because they are 'out of sight, out of mind', it does not make them any less real. Nature is diverse with wonderful creatures, many of which we have yet to discover. Yes, I agree with you that they almost look cartoonish, but such is nature - it is unique to our planet and so diverse. We should be embracing them and not accusing everything we see of being computer generated........

Last edited: