Mystery Boom

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Boom Heard, Felt From Chula Vista To Del Mar Was Not An Earthquake, USGS Says The San Diego Union-Tribune
There's something happening here. What it is, the U.S. Navy and the U.S.G.S aren't exactly making it clear. There was a boom over there and UFOlogists gotta be aware. Why? It happened in the same neighborhood of the Nimitz Tic-Tac Incident, just Andrew Dyer is unclear if the sound's source was offshore in the direction of San Clemente Island or the mainland.
Jan. 15, 2020
5:50 PM
SAN DIEGO —
People from Del Mar to Chula Vista took to social media Wednesday afternoon to report a “boom” that shook doors and startled pets, leading many to speculate that the region had experienced a short, mild earthquake.

Posts on Twitter and Facebook described a loud boom, accompanied by shaking doors and cabinets.

However, that is unlikely to have been the cause of the phenomenon, said Paul Laustsen, a U.S. Geological Survey spokesman.

“The last earthquake in the vicinity was at 4:16 a.m.,” he said during a phone interview Wednesday.

One military official suggested an ongoing exercise at Camp Pendleton could be the source. Artillery fire appears on a noise advisory for the base today, however, a base official said the exercise was canceled.

Laustsen suggested the reported effects indicate a sonic boom, and referred people to the USGS sonic boom information page.

San Diego-base Naval Air Forces said none of the Navy’s aircraft were the source of the boom Wednesday. Marine Corps officials from the MCAS Miramar-based 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing said it is also not aware of the source of the boom.

“While we are aware of media reports of a possible sonic boom, no 3rd MAW units have reported one in San Diego air space,” the statement said.

A similar mysterious sound in 2012 that military officials denied being involved in turned out to be Navy jets operating off the coast performing for embarked family members on the carrier Carl Vinson.

Although the carrier Abraham Lincoln is in the eastern Pacific Ocean with embarked family members now, its public affairs officer, Lt. Cmdr. Jesus Uranga, said in an email no similar demonstration took place the time of the reported event Wednesday.

Updates:
7:05 PM, Jan. 15, 2020: This story was updated to reflect that no aircraft from the Abraham Lincoln were in the air at the time of the reported event.

Video: Monstrous Mystery Boom Rocks Houston Metropolitan Area - Coast to Coast AM

Residents throughout a sizeable region of southeast Texas reported hearing and, in some cases, feeling a monstrous mystery boom that rocked the area over the weekend. The unsettling blast occurred on Saturday night somewhere in the Houston area and led to a local TV station being inundated with calls from numerous concerned viewers who heard the unnerving sound in the surrounding cities and towns. "It was like boom," one witness recalled, " it wasn't someone knocking on the door. Our whole house shook."

Attempts by the TV station to figure out what caused the boom have so proven to be futile as calls to a litany of area law enforcement agencies failed to yield any answers. That said, several of those departments confirmed that they had received reports of the puzzling sound on Saturday evening as well. While it's difficult to determine what exactly may have caused the mysterious boom, prosaic possibilities such as a meteorite or even fireworks cannot be discounted.

A lot of sky noises lately. As I see them, I'll add them on. If you see a link first, add it!

Somebody opened the portal? :D stargate? Cloaked experimental aircraft?

Reactions: Debi
I live in Los Angeles County. There are a number of military bases around Southern California including infamous Edwards AFB about 50 miles to the north of me. About 200 miles NW of Edwards is "Area 51." San Diego is about 100 miles to the south of me. I've heard mysterious booms too which I figure are sonic booms, probably connected to Edwards. I've also heard the most unbelievably loud aircraft seemingly flying just above the clouds on overcast days on several occasions which I suspect are some type of experimental craft that they choose to fly over populated areas at times when no one can see them due to cloud cover. I also once saw a triangular shaped craft flying south over the San Gabriel Mountains at the northern edge of LA County.

Last edited:
Most people under fifty, especially those who didn't/don't live relatively close to a military air base, have never heard a sonic boom. Back in the day however, starting in the mid 1950s when the "Century Series" of fighters could break the sound barrier in level flight, sonic booms were fairly common. A former boss of mine, an F-101 pilot, referred to it as "supersonic (male member) waving". Soon the DoD was getting complaints about the noise, as well as paying damages for property damage, decreased farm productivity, etc. (This became a theme in 50s TV shows, btw.) Don't know when restrictions were put in place, but I don't remember any booms locally much beyond the late 1960s. The last sonic boom I heard was in the late 90s/early 2000s while TDY to Edwards AFB.

Most people under fifty, especially those who didn't/don't live relatively close to a military air base, have never heard a sonic boom. Back in the day however, starting in the mid 1950s when the "Century Series" of fighters could break the sound barrier in level flight, sonic booms were fairly common. A former boss of mine, an F-101 pilot, referred to it as "supersonic (male member) waving". Soon the DoD was getting complaints about the noise, as well as paying damages for property damage, decreased farm productivity, etc. (This became a theme in 50s TV shows, btw.) Don't know when restrictions were put in place, but I don't remember any booms locally much beyond the late 1960s. The last sonic boom I heard was in the late 90s/early 2000s while TDY to Edwards AFB.
You are right about there being sonic booms when growing up. It’s something I haven’t thought about. We don’t hear them anymore.