My Shadow Figure

Duke

Open-minded critical thinker
Staff
Reaction score
Early 70s, I was in my mid-teens living at home. Our home was an old farm house, surrounded on three sides by corn fields. One full moon summer night, probably 2-3am, I was awake and sitting on our sun porch in the rear of the house reading and listening to the local rock radio station. I looked out the window toward the corn field, and I saw a shadow figure in a fedora-type hat go through our back yard and into the corn field. The shadow wasn't upright, it was one the ground like one would expect a shadow to be. So it went under, not through the fence into the corn field.

My first thought was I'd seen the shadow of one of the many hobos who tended to camp out under a bridge halfway between our place and a major railroad crossing, about a hundred yards from our house. It was the hat that brought that to mind, for some reason the hobos tended to wear wide brimmed hats, probably to protect them from sun and rain. (I saw a lot of hobos up close and personal, my mom was an easy mark who felt sorry for them and routinely gave them food and drink.) Then it occurred to me what I saw went under the fence with no physical person having been seen.

I went into the corn field the following day (over the fence) at the spot I saw the figure go under the fence, but didn't see anything that looked out of the ordinary. Lived at home for another couple of years before going off to college, never saw the shadow guy again.

Early 70s, I was in my mid-teens living at home. Our home was an old farm house, surrounded on three sides by corn fields. One full moon summer night, probably 2-3am, I was awake and sitting on our sun porch in the rear of the house reading and listening to the local rock radio station. I looked out the window toward the corn field, and I saw a shadow figure in a fedora-type hat go through our back yard and into the corn field. The shadow wasn't upright, it was one the ground like one would expect a shadow to be. So it went under, not through the fence into the corn field.

My first thought was I'd seen the shadow of one of the many hobos who tended to camp out under a bridge halfway between our place and a major railroad crossing, about a hundred yards from our house. It was the hat that brought that to mind, for some reason the hobos tended to wear wide brimmed hats, probably to protect them from sun and rain. (I saw a lot of hobos up close and personal, my mom was an easy mark who felt sorry for them and routinely gave them food and drink.) Then it occurred to me what I saw went under the fence with no physical person having been seen.

I went into the corn field the following day (over the fence) at the spot I saw the figure go under the fence, but didn't see anything that looked out of the ordinary. Lived at home for another couple of years before going off to college, never saw the shadow guy again.
That sounds like the hatman. But usually he’s more sinister than other shadow people

I've had dealings with the Hatman for years. Actually, my oldest son has. Just be glad it never came back!

Wow this is the first time I’ve heard of a shadow person being flat on the ground like a real shadow just minus the person to make it. Talk about creepy! Did it turn out to be an omen of anything?
Was everything ok after the sighting ?

Reactions: Selectric
Wow this is the first time I’ve heard of a shadow person being flat on the ground like a real shadow just minus the person to make it. Talk about creepy! Did it turn out to be an omen of anything?
Was everything ok after the sighting ?

I don't recall any ill effects after seeing the figure, my parents lived there at least another fifteen years before moving out. Last I drove by, the old farm house was unoccupied and in pretty rough shape. I have had thoughts about buying it back and fixing it up, but the time commitment would be more than I can undertake at this point.

Reactions: Selectric
I don't recall any ill effects after seeing the figure, my parents lived there at least another fifteen years before moving out. Last I drove by, the old farm house was unoccupied and in pretty rough shape. I have had thoughts about buying it back and fixing it up, but the time commitment would be more than I can undertake at this point.
You may just have caught something passing through. Glad it wasn’t a bad omen.