My second paranormal experience: Late summer, 1984

Miratus Sum Ego

Reaction score
At this time, I was no longer living in the town of Kinburn, Ontario where I had seen the strange green light in 1976. My father had passed away in 1980, and my mother and I moved to a 3rd-floor apartment in an older lowrise building in downtown Ottawa. In the summer of 1984, I was 19 and had just finished high school. Back then in Canada, high school went up to grade 13. I wasn’t quite sure what I was going to do next. I had not registered at college or university. My mother was amenable to the idea of me taking a break from the real world for a while so I spent the summer hanging out with friends and reading science fiction and fantasy novels.

In early summer I had met a girl my age at a local science fiction bookstore. I wasn’t very popular with girls in high school and this was the first girlfriend I ever had. We went out a bit and attended a science fiction convention in Ottawa together and went to several parties at the homes of members of the SF community, but the relationship was not going well. I was too inexperienced and she had a very histrionic, melodramatic personality. Being one of the more attractive young women in the science fiction community at that time, she relished the attention of other guys and was constantly making me jealous.

One day when we were talking, she told me a very inappropriate and confusing story about her relationship with an adult male member of her own family. I was very upset and shocked at this story and repulsed by her own point of view about it, and decided to end our relationship if that’s what you could even call it.

I went home feeling very upset. I just sat around thinking and worrying for hours. My mother had gone to Toronto for the weekend to visit my much older sister and I was alone with my cat, named Wizard, in the apartment. Finally, I went to bed about 1:30 AM.

I lay down on my back and Wizard curled up under my arm as usual. Very soon after lying down, I entered a state of semi-consciousness that I was unfamiliar with. I was aware that I was lying in bed, but I could not move. I later learned about sleep paralysis, and I suppose that phenomenon could account for most of what happened next.

I began to experience visual hallucinations much like the famous visuals used in 2001 A Space Odyssey. I seemed to be speeding through space, seeing planets and gaseous nebulae passing in vivid color beside me. This was years before the Hubble telescope’s pictures were available but when I saw those, the images I saw that night were very similar.

Eventually, I came out of this semi-conscious state and rolled over on my side. I held my cat close to me like a teddy bear.

I slipped back into the same semi-conscious state almost immediately, but this time instead of experiencing a hallucination of space travel, I felt myself slipping up out of my body, with a sensation like letting go of a helium balloon. I felt myself rise up to the ceiling. When I looked down, I could see my bed, the mess of stuff on my dresser and my clothing on the floor and my own body lying on the bed. My cat stood up and was looking up at me, and as I watched, her fur stood on end and she became very agitated and she jumped off the bed and ran back and forth across the floor, looking up at me and meowing.

There was a ledge above my bedroom door, and as I floated toward it, I felt the pocket of the t-shirt I was sleeping in and I wanted to take a wadded-up Kleenex out and leave it above the door so it would be there as proof in the morning, but I realized that the Kleenex would not be a corporeal Kleenex and would likely not be visible to me as my physical body and clothing were below me on the bed.

I then decided to float out the window and travel around the city, but as I drifted across the bed to the window, I became terrified at the idea of leaving the room and suddenly I felt myself being jerked back into my body, again, like a balloon on a string.

I came to full consciousness as soon as I was back in my body. I was soaking wet with sweat, even though the room was cool. My cat jumped up on the bed again and crawled onto my lap. I couldn’t sleep any more that night, so I took my cat and went out to the livingroom and sat on the couch until the sun came up.

I would probably chalk this up to sleep paralysis due to my emotional state when I went to bed, but the part about my cat’s reaction is curious. Although, of course, I suppose that could have been just part of the whole sleep paralysis imaginary experience and not even have really happened.

Out of all of them, this was probably the paranormal experience I had that could most easily be scientifically explained away.

Last edited:
Young men are way more deep & sentimental than many of them would have us believe.

Whatever your old girlfriend said to you, it was so inappropriate that it shocked you into an out of body episode. It rattled your conservative principles that much.

I
Young men are way more deep & sentimental than many of them would have us believe.

Whatever your old girlfriend said to you, it was so inappropriate that it shocked you into an out of body episode. It rattled your conservative principles that much.
totally agree Mrs C

I think you were so upset you had an out of body expierence. Did you see the silver cord ? Have you had similar expierences since ?

I’ve tried to have one but I chicken out at the roaring stage.

So did you see the world differently afterward? Did this expierence help you move forward from that relationship ?

Until I read about sleep paralysis I was convinced it was a paranormal experience, but now I am about 50-50. Sleep paralysis pretty much offers a completely scientific rationale for this sort of thing. I would prefer to think it is paranormal, however.

I did not see any silver cord attaching me to my body. I was more focused on my cat and my movements around the room.

I never had another out-of-body experience, but I did have another experience at age 28 of a type that I have also heard can result from sleep paralysis.

I didn't really change my life in any way because of this experience, but I did almost immediately 'get over' the girl. The next day I realized that she was not right for me and was just a somewhat flighty and silly person who craved attention and may even have been making up the shocking story she told me to get a reaction from me.

Several years later I met another woman with a similar, but far more subtle personality with whom I became deeply involved for many years, and who figures in my next 2 experiences.

Until I read about sleep paralysis I was convinced it was a paranormal experience, but now I am about 50-50. Sleep paralysis pretty much offers a completely scientific rationale for this sort of thing. I would prefer to think it is paranormal, however.

I did not see any silver cord attaching me to my body. I was more focused on my cat and my movements around the room.

I never had another out-of-body experience, but I did have another experience at age 28 of a type that I have also heard can result from sleep paralysis.

I didn't really change my life in any way because of this experience, but I did almost immediately 'get over' the girl. The next day I realized that she was not right for me and was just a somewhat flighty and silly person who craved attention and may even have been making up the shocking story she told me to get a reaction from me.

Several years later I met another woman with a similar, but far more subtle personality with whom I became deeply involved for many years, and who figures in my next 2 experiences.
Glad you probably have your answer.

It’s funny how we look for people with similar traits when dating.