Music heals body and soul

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Something we here at the forum already knew....

Music not just good for the soul, it's also good for the body

(Reuters Health) - Music isn't just good for the soul, it's also good for helping the body heal after surgery, a research review suggests.

Surgery patients who listen to music may have lower levels of pain and anxiety as well as lower blood pressure and heart rate than people who don't, according to the analysis.

The benefits of music were bigger when patients get to pick their own playlists.

"As many patients have smartphones with personal music playlists, informing our patients before scheduled surgeries of the positive effect of music on their wellbeing could be a low cost intervention that may enhance wellbeing and possibly faster recover," lead study author Dr. Diana Vetter, a surgery researcher at the University of Zurich in Switzerland, said by email.

To assess the impact of music on surgical outcomes, Vetter and colleagues analyzed data from 47 studies, including 26 that looked at the effect of music before procedures, 25 looking at music in the operating room, and 25 looking at music during recovery.

Overall, music was linked to about 31 percent less pain, 29 percent lower odds of using pain medication, and 34 percent less anxiety.

In addition, music was tied to 40 percent lower blood pressure and 27 percent lower heart rate.

When patients choose their own tunes, the benefits sometimes increased, the researchers report in the Annals of Surgery.

More at site

Reactions: 7Critter and Mokey
If we get to sing out loud along with the songs, I'm in. I will surely get an early discharge in their efforts to make me quit.

Reactions: 7Critter and Debi