Mundane or paranormal stereo activity?

WitchAndShaman

Truth Seeker
Reaction score
This thread was prompted by the title (not the content) of the thread, "Change the Station!" and a similar post made recently by another PNF'er on a different thread.

I think that many people have had an experience where some entertainment appliance like a radio, stereo, or television has seemingly activated - either turned on, off, or changed stations. This one is mine.

So that you can understand just how truly odd this was, I have to setup the physical scene for you. First of all, I lived alone in a very small condo (fewer than 700 square feet). The condo was essentially five rooms with the dining and living rooms combined into a single rectangle, then a door from that room into the only bedroom, and then another doorway leading from the bedroom into the only bathroom. There was line of sight between the doorways of those three rooms with only a distance of about eight feet between the doors.

More important than the doorways was the placement of my "entertainment center" (which was just a typical sofa-height console) in the living room and the three windows in that room. I was a very private person, so for the entire seven years I lived there, I kept the blinds closed on the only two real windows in this room. There was also a small window pane built into the top of the front door, and I kept that covered with paper. Essentially, there was no easy way to see into my condo from the outside.

As for the entertainment console, the room was so small that I had this console up against the wall with the arm of my sofa only about six inches aware from the front of the stereo components. Though the console structure was visible at one end, all of the stereo components - including a separate receiver, amplifier, turntable, etc. - were practically hidden.

All of the components were controlled by one infrared remote which required some mangling of my arms to control when seated because as I said all of the components were very well hidden behind and below the sofa arm. The stereo and the remote both had the kind of volume control which can only be stepped up incrementally - the kind that cannot be turned up aggressively with just a single adjustment.

I typically listened to CDs and rarely to the radio but on this random day I had all of my electronics off. So I was standing in the bathroom with my back to the bedroom; and all of a sudden the radio component of the stereo comes on at full volume...and, I do mean full volume. It was deafening. I ran out of the bathroom across the two steps it took to clear the bedroom and jumped into the living room/dining room not knowing what to expect. And, I found nothing but my stereo playing as loud as it possibly could. Slightly panicked and very annoyed I yelled, "Stop it!" and the stereo shut down completely.

It was essentially impossible (certainly beyond impractical) for anyone to have tried to play a joke on me and set this up in advance or be triggering it from nearby. I suspected that the cause might be a power surge or possibly the batteries in the remote going out and going wonky. But the fact that the stereo activity and noise stopped immediately upon my screeching, I doubt that any mundane electrical snafu caused this. I also know for certain that the volume did not step up incrementally because by the time the volume would have reached even 25% power it would have been really easy to hear it from where I was standing in the bathroom fewer than 12 feet away.

Unfortunately, unlike most other interesting occurrences in my life, I can't really make sense of this one mystically based on anything meaningful as I did not make note of the song that was playing nor did I make note of the exact date. So for me, this is just one of those "weird unexplained coincidences".

Anyone else have a similar happening to share?

Yes many many times.

One time I bent over and my head went near the tv and the tv turned off! I leaned back up and the tv came back on.

Other times I have had the stereo turned on full blast when it certainly wasn't before and wake up everyone in the house. No one could've done it because we were all asleep and we couldn't turn it off.

Other times the fire alarm would go off for no reason and it's not the battery sound I mean every single one in the house going off. Even in multiple apartments that would happen.

That almost sounds a bit "SLIder-ish" there, Wands! You've heard my tales about lights and electronics before. Could have been you! Remember if you were under pressure or stress at the time? Sometimes that keys these events.

Reactions: WitchAndShaman
Yes many many times.

One time I bent over and my head went near the tv and the tv turned off! I leaned back up and the tv came back on.

Other times I have had the stereo turned on full blast when it certainly wasn't before and wake up everyone in the house. No one could've done it because we were all asleep and we couldn't turn it off.

Other times the fire alarm would go off for no reason and it's not the battery sound I mean every single one in the house going off. Even in multiple apartments that would happen.

Not being able to turn off a loud TV or stereo would be horrible. Hope you don’t have an Amazon or other smart device cause I can image what that thing could do to you!

Reactions: Herbal Jaguar
Not being able to turn off a loud TV or stereo would be horrible. Hope you don’t have an Amazon or other smart device cause I can image what that thing could do to you!
I think we just unplugged it haha

That almost sounds a bit "SLIder-ish" there, Wands! You've heard my tales about lights and electronics before. Could have been you! Remember if you were under pressure or stress at the time? Sometimes that keys these events.

That’s right - I’ve read your similar escapades Debi. When I read those posts, I didn’t think they applied to me but I’m open to a new interpretation. I know that I can’t confident recall my emotional state at that time since I can’t even recall the date. But I do know that five of the seven years I lived in that condo I was under serious stresses. So if stress could be a trigger for sliding then that might be an explanation for my mysterious occurrence.

Last edited:
That’s right - I’ve read you similar escapades Debi. When I read those posts, I didn’t think they applied to me bust I’m open to a new interpretation. I know that I can’t confident recall my emotional state at that time since I can’t even recall the date. But I do know that five of the seven years I lived in that condo I was under serious stresses. So if stress could be a trigger for sliding then that might be an explanation for my mysterious occurrence.
Stress is almost always a part of it, imo. Or at least it is for me. When I start blowing light bulbs and destroying electrical appliances, I have to remind myself to calm it the heck down before I blow up my computer! (Which I have done enough times my past employers with testify to my ability to do so and my son who fixes my stuff will also assure you this is true.)

Reactions: WitchAndShaman
I think we just unplugged it haha

Could you please PM me your direct cell number. I know for CERTAIN I would spend so much time trying to figure out how or why the noise is happening that it would not dawn on me to pull the plug. I’m more likely to remember to call you for instructions than to recall that the cord and plug even exists at all. Then as several PNFers know, I will very like wet all over myself too.

Reactions: Herbal Jaguar
HJ’s story just reminded me of a mundane occurrence with a cellphone and my PCs plural back in 1999.

I was working technical support from home - I had in my home office a wood trestle desk with my personal PC/monitor/mouse/keyboard set up on one extreme end and my similar business PC configuration set up on the other end of the desk. The two monitors were about 2 to 2.5 feet apart on the tabletop.

On this random Saturday afternoon - yeah, I had weekend support duties - I was sitting at my desk and had my business cellphone in my right hand. My right elbow was resting on the trestle table top and my hand with the phone was slightly extended forward such that the phone was roughly in the middle of the empty space between the two monitors.

The phone rang and concentric rings like those you see when you toss a rock into a pond moved outward across both monitors. I didn’t move and the phone rang a second time sending another set of concentric rings across the two monitors then POOF both PCs powered down on their own!

I’d say that cellphones (at least circa 1999 models) DID in fact exude some form of electromagnetic energy. And that energy was not only strong enough to upset the pixel display of my monitors but it was also WW3-level enough to EMP both of my PCs into power down mode!!!!!!

HJ’s story just reminded me of a mundane occurrence with a cellphone and my PCs plural back in 1999.

I was working technical support from home - I had in my home office a wood trestle desk with my personal PC/monitor/mouse/keyboard set up on one extreme end and my similar business PC configuration set up on the other end of the desk. The two monitors were about 2 to 2.5 feet apart on the tabletop.

On this random Saturday afternoon - yeah, I had weekend support duties - I was sitting at my desk and had my business cellphone in my right hand. My right elbow was resting on the trestle table top and my hand with the phone was slightly extended forward such that the phone was roughly in the middle of the empty space between the two monitors.

The phone rang and concentric rings like those you see when you toss a rock into a pond moved outward across both monitors. I didn’t move and the phone rang a second time sending another set of concentric rings across the two monitors then POOF both PCs powered down on their own!

I’d say that cellphones (at least circa 1999 models) DID in fact exude some form of electromagnetic energy. And that energy was not only strong enough to upset the pixel display of my monitors but it was also WW3-level enough to EMP both of my PCs into power down mode!!!!!!
I don't know if you've had older model speakers but even the early 2000's ones when you would get a text or phone call it would capture the waves going through the air and play them. This sound right here. Maybe it's a visual form of that? I remember the super old monitors would make bizarre sounds coming on like a nuclear power plant.

Another time I was at my parents house when I was younger and I had headphones in for hours. I got up for some water and every radio in the house had been turned on and set to a mariachi station. Every radio in the house was in no way changed to that station. I didn't know how to take it or if it was making fun of my Hispanic heritage?

Another time in the same house a bottle of bleach unscrewed itself and started pouring into a puddle of battery acid creating chlorine gas. I heard my dog howling so I went to go check it out and as soon as I opened the door I saw a white misty cloud. I could smell chlorine. I could feel my eyes and my skin burning but especially my tear ducts. I knew instantly this is not good, and I ran grabbed my gas mask (which people make fun of me for having but it will save my life) I luckily have several gas masks and I put one on and grabbed my dog and started washing out his eyes and fur before washing out my eyes and showering. I got a massive headache for about an hour after that.