Most Mysterious Song on the Internet

Ultima Thule

Reaction score

"Twelve years ago, a catchy New Wave anthem appeared on the internet with no information about who wrote or recorded it. Amateur detectives have spent thousands of hours since trying to figure out where it came from — with little luck. Inside the question that’s been driving the internet crazy for years"

My musical IQ is in the imbecile range. So I am unable to judge this song on any technical merits. Listening to it doesn't do all that much for me. But it's still an interesting mystery.

Mysterious Song (Part 2)

For years this "unknown ballad" was attributed to Emerson Lake & Palmer, circa 1970. The mystery was finally solved just a few years ago and is explained in the "comments" at the bottom of the You Tube page.

Reactions: Paintman

tristram margetts
2 years ago
In about 1970 Greg invited us to Advision studios where ELP were recording (Tarkus I think) . Keith and Carl had to leave early, which left some vacant studio time available, about two hours. Greg had the idea of using this time to put down, what turns out to be, the "Unknown Ballad" . There was no prior knowledge or arrangement, (it was literally "Spontaneous" ) nothing prepared. The singer is definitely my brother Gary Margetts. I (Tris Margetts) put down a simple bass track and I think Greg played piano and we all sang backing vox including Tony Brock our drummer. I can't remember if the song idea was Greg's or Gary's. When we were waiting in the control room, (ELP were rehearsing Tarkus I think ,but can't be sure ) Eddie Offord told us he had just finished the final mix of what was a rather handy up and coming band, would we like to hear it ......It was the Yes Album...... In Advision.........Quite some experience for a 15 year old kid!!!!! 47 years later, well, all I can say is, it was one of the good days.

Reactions: Paintman and Benway

"Twelve years ago, a catchy New Wave anthem appeared on the internet with no information about who wrote or recorded it. Amateur detectives have spent thousands of hours since trying to figure out where it came from — with little luck. Inside the question that’s been driving the internet crazy for years"

My musical IQ is in the imbecile range. So I am unable to judge this song on any technical merits. Listening to it doesn't do all that much for me. But it's still an interesting mystery.

Well it sounds like it's from the very early 80s. It also sounds like a demo. I'd say it's an unfairly overlooked demo from a band that never made it.

Ok yours is the most mysterious, but this guy is definitely the weirdest. I for some reason can’t ever stop showing people this. Lol

Thanks Fizz :confused:

I think I owe you something similarly bizarre.:p
The Leningrad Hillbillies singing Sweet Home Alabama with the Soviet Red Army Choir.
And I can't get it to post.....
Can anybody help a brother out?

Reactions: Fizz

I don't know when this was filmed, but I wonder if any of the choir members shown were among those who died when the Russian military aircraft crashed on Christmas Day in 2016?

I don't know when this was filmed, but I wonder if any of the choir members shown were among those who died when the Russian military aircraft crashed on Christmas Day in 2016?
From comments on video

Today 25 .12.2016 We lost the great Red Army Choir, in a plane crash over Sochi-Russia...The irony of it all, considering the fact that Lynyrd Skynyrd (the band behind Sweet Home Alabama song), also died in a plane crash.