More than one reality

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
More Than One Reality Exists (in Quantum Physics)

More Than One Reality Exists (in Quantum Physics)
By Mindy Weisberger, Senior Writer | March 20, 2019 07:00am ET

Can two versions of reality exist at the same time? Physicists say they can — at the quantum level, that is.

Researchers recently conducted experiments to answer a decades-old theoretical physics question about dueling realities. This tricky thought experiment proposed that two individuals observing the same photon could arrive at different conclusions about that photon's state — and yet both of their observations would be correct.

For the first time, scientists have replicated conditions described in the thought experiment. Their results, published Feb. 13 in the preprint journal arXiv, confirmed that even when observers described different states in the same photon, the two conflicting realities could both be true. [The Biggest Unsolved Mysteries in Physics]

"You can verify both of them," study co-author Martin Ringbauer, a postdoctoral researcher with the Department of Experimental Physics at the University of Innsbrück in Austria, told Live Science.

Wigner's friend
This perplexing idea was the brainchild of Eugene Wigner, winner of the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1963. In 1961, Wigner had introduced a thought experiment that became known as "Wigner's friend." It begins with a photon — a particle of light. When an observer in an isolated laboratory measures the photon, they find that the particle's polarization — the axis on which it spins — is either vertical or horizontal.

However, before the photon is measured, the photon displays both polarizations at once, as dictated by the laws of quantum mechanics; it exists in a "superposition" of two possible states.

Once the person in the lab measures the photon, the particle assumes a fixed polarization. But for someone outside that closed laboratory who doesn't know the result of the measurements, the unmeasured photon is still in a state of superposition.

That outsider's observation — their reality — therefore diverges from the reality of the person in the lab who measured the photon. Yet, neither of those conflicting observations is thought to be wrong, according to quantum mechanics.

Full story at site

We just talked about this last night in chat and here's a new article on it today.

I have enough trouble with one reality! lol

Reactions: ozentity and TonyM
What I've been reading about and thinking about these past few days, weird
I know. You mentioned it last night and this popped up today. I didn't go looking....it just was there on Drudge Report this morning. :confused:

Reactions: TonyM
Though this is about the micro quantum level, I have a long held position that is similar at the hugely macro level too. It goes like this.

I believe it is possible for two friends to have differing opinions about the color of the sky and both be true.

One states it is blue and the other states it is green.

The difference is not attributes to any form of hoax, nor any kind of miscommunication nor language barrier, nor is it related to any clinical/physical failure of the eye nor brain.

It is possible for the sky to in fact be green and blue at the same time to different observers. The really complicated part is how others, beyond those two, perceive the sky and how they might be influenced by one of those first two observers.

Though this is about the micro quantum level, I have a long held position that is similar at the hugely macro level too. It goes like this.

I believe it is possible for two friends to have differing opinions about the color of the sky and both be true.

One states it is blue and the other states it is green.

The difference is not attributes to any form of hoax, nor any kind of miscommunication nor language barrier, nor is it related to any clinical/physical failure of the eye nor brain.

It is possible for the sky to in fact be green and blue at the same time to different observers. The really complicated part is how others, beyond those two, perceive the sky and how they might be influenced by one of those first two observers.
It's all about perception. What one perceives is their reality.

This stuff is so interesting but makes my brain hurt if I think on it too long.

Reactions: Mokey