Moral AI

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Report: Home Assistants with 'Moral AI' Could Call Police on Owners | Breitbart

Report: Home Assistants with ‘Moral AI’ Could Call Police on Owners

The Daily Mail reported that home assistants could soon report their owners to the police for breaking the law based on a “Moral A.I.” system, if the ideas of academics in Europe are implemented.
The newspaper reported that academics at the University of Bergen in Norway discussed the idea of a “moral A.I.” for smart home assistants, like the Amazon Echo, Google Home, and Apple HomePod, during a conference.

Moral A.I. would reportedly make home assistants have to “decide whether to report their owners for breaking the law,” or whether to stay silent.

“This would let them to weigh-up whether to report illegal activity to the police, effectively putting millions of people under constant surveillance,” the Daily Mail explained, adding that Dr. Marija Slavkovik, who led the research, “suggested that digital assistants should possess an ethical awareness that simultaneously represents both the owner and the authorities — or, in the case of a minor, their parents.”

“Devices would then have an internal ‘discussion’ about suspect behaviour, weighing up conflicting demands between the law and personal freedoms, before arriving at the ‘best’ course of action,” the Mail noted.

In an interview with the Mail, Slavkovik declared, “There is [already] an ethical conflict between people in one family, let alone between people and manufacturer, or shareholders of the manufacturer and programmers… If we want to avoid Orwellian outcomes it’s important that all stakeholders are identified and have a say, including when machines shouldn’t be able to listen in. Right now only the manufacturer decides.”

Full story at site

Reactions: Lonewolf
interesting. I just read an article this week that was talking about new cars haveing the ability to call 911 if started without the key or "chip"..(stolen), but also being able to call if you break the states "super speeder" laws or reckless driving laws....it was also saying that every car now also has the ability to have devices like "google assist" or "alexa" installed for voice control of radio, g.p.s. and phone services...
wow, when you throw onstar, google home, alexa, smart appliances, home computers and web cams.(if you have a laptop, tablet or smart phone, you have a webcam...) into the mix, you realize we have lost all privacy, there is no escaping it unless you get rid of everything from T.V. to internet.......we are doomed.....lol

Reactions: Donna K. and Debi
interesting. I just read an article this week that was talking about new cars haveing the ability to call 911 if started without the key or "chip"..(stolen), but also being able to call if you break the states "super speeder" laws or reckless driving laws....it was also saying that every car now also has the ability to have devices like "google assist" or "alexa" installed for voice control of radio, g.p.s. and phone services...
wow, when you throw onstar, google home, alexa, smart appliances, home computers and web cams.(if you have a laptop, tablet or smart phone, you have a webcam...) into the mix, you realize we have lost all privacy, there is no escaping it unless you get rid of everything from T.V. to internet.......we are doomed.....lol
When your own car reports you to the police we have a problem!

zzzzzzztoaster.jpg