Monkey Human hybrids created

Note where this came from. The Sun is mostly known for printing outrageous sensational articles rather than truthful ones. This is in no real way a human monkey hybrid. This is stem cell research and is only done with embryos. The experiments are terminated after 20 days. I don't think that even if they were allowed to go to term that they would be different in any real way from a regular monkey.

If this makes a human monkey hybrid I know a couple of people that are human-pig hybrids. If installing stem cells in a monkey makes that monkey human than my friends became pigs when they had pig heart valves installed. A HYBRID is made by combining genetic material NOT by grafting on parts. A monkey with human stem cells is still genetically 100% monkey. To do the research which may someday allow us to correct certain birth defects among other possibilities in humans you need to learn by experiments. If not a monkey it would have to be ape or human embryos to be worth much.

There is a lot of grafting done that is cross-species. I read a story about a little boy that lost an ear. They grew him a new one on the back of a white rat. They are working on pigs that may have O-positive blood that would be human-compatible.

In the past, a lot of the vaccines were made from serums from various animals. Their antibodies would protect you from diseases like tetanus and other things. Now they are laboratory made but the origins were people being inoculated with cells from animals.
If you would prefer NPR as a source, here you go. Also, yes, this was a stem cell creation. Not grafting. This was over that line. It is the first step in going forward to full baby from those embryos. It also brings up the ethics of "when is life created?" At conception or at a specific date later in the process?

From the article:

But this type of scientific work and the possibilities it opens up raises serious questions for some ethicists. The biggest concern, they said, is that someone could try to take this work further and attempt to make a baby out of an embryo made this way. Specifically, the critics worry that human cells could become part of the developing brain of such an embryo — and of the brain of the resulting animal.

"Should it be regulated as human because it has a significant proportion of human cells in it? Or should it be regulated just as an animal? Or something else?" Rice University's Matthews said. "At what point are you taking something and using it for organs when it actually is starting to think and have logic?"

Another concern is that using human cells in this way could produce animals that have human sperm or eggs.
___
Also, as the grandmother of a T1D who needs a pancreas, I fully, completely get the medical needs issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: ozentity and Duke
If they take it further and go too far they will then need to be stopped. If you stopped all research based on the possibility that it might at some point lead to some future misuse we would still be going to witch doctors to treat our sicknesses. We would still be walking and riding animals, our clothing would be made of skins and All research or advancements would have to be banned just in case...

I am very against unnecessary experimentation that involves living animals so this that only involves cells that are not allowed to develop into much is much preferable to me. Knowledge is always dangerous but sadly ignorance is even more of a problem. We are living in a dangerous world. Even if we stop all research, that in no way will affect our future past and present enemies. If you want to see how humans will react to a drug you in the end need to give it to someone and watch the show.

We use animals for early testing but at some point, you have to expose humans to it. There is hope that someday they will be able to do this in a microbiological fashion but then you run into the ethical problem of using prehuman, but human cells, or lab-made embryos. In efforts to sidestep that they are trying to make other, closer to human but NOT human cells to eventually be used in research.

Fear not though the monkeys are not the only species involved. In some ways, pigs are almost as good as apes and monkeys for some research. LOL the makeup industry uses pigs to test and make sure that their products don't harm or irritate delicate skin.

Research needs to be watched but not stopped because people fear what they don't understand. If it is not dangerous or unethical it needs to be allowed to proceed freely but watched. If it is something immediately dangerous then it needs to be closely monitored and controlled.

At some point maybe we, as a species, will move beyond the constant need to fight wars and take what others have even when we don't need it or really want it. Sadly I suspect that that day is going to be a long time coming. Until that time unfortunately we need to develop and understand the things that men are going to use for war.

Many of the most deadly things we developed came from research that had no militant or destructive original intentions. When you travel down new paths you never know what you may find. Fortunately, some amazing wonders have been found through research that just stumbled upon something odd and became important.

Reactions: WitchAndShaman