Missed by thiiiiis much....

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Asteroid the size of a football field makes 'surprise' flyby close to Earth

Asteroid the size of a football field makes 'surprise' flyby close to Earth

An asteroid the size of a football field buzzed by Earth Sunday in one of the closest encounters the planet has seen in a while.

At its closest point, the asteroid – called 2018 GE3 – was just 119,500 miles away from Earth's atmosphere, about half the distance between Earth and the moon, according to NASA's Center for Near Earth Object Studies (CNEOS). The estimated diameter of the space rock ranged from 131 to 328 feet, CNEOS reports.

That's nothing compared to asteroids that make up the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter, which can measure to about 580 miles across, NASA explains on its website. Those asteroids, however, pose no threat to Earth.

The 2018 GE3 asteroid was discovered just one day before it skimmed past Earth in what scientists are calling a "surprise" flyby.

"2018 GE3 was discovered by the Catalina Sky Survey approaching Earth on April 14th. Hours later, amateur astronomer Michael Jäger of Weißenkirchen Austria video-recorded the space rock gliding through the southern constellation Serpens," Spaceweather.com reported.

WE’RE ALL GONNA DIE! Not today, but someday :eek:

Reactions: Debi
And this is the kind of discoveries I like hearing about from amateur astronomers!

It would be GREAT if it was seen a bit more than one day before!
Maybe some of us should do some astronomy of our own and post our findings. Maybe one of us would find these things earlier.

Apparently, astronomers are worse at forcasting than meterologists. I would like more than one day to know that something was headed our way.

Apparently, astronomers are worse at forcasting than meterologists. I would like more than one day to know that something was headed our way.
Just imagine if amateurs saved up to buy radio telescopes...... then maybe, just maybe we could get results like that.

Reactions: Lynne and Debi