Mirrors in dreams: Have you ever tried to look at yourself in them?

Selectric

Tier-1 Mod
Reaction score
I always heard you shouldn't look at yourself in a mirror while dreaming. Not sure where those warnings came from. Most were it's bad luck, you CAN'T see yourself, you'll die in your dream if you do..your brain will melt kind of stuff, etc lol. I of course must've planted that into my brain as everytime i pass a mirror in my dream, i always see 'sort of myself'. On many occasions for some reason, i will have a full beard (remember Star Trek Mirror Universe stuff?) lol. Maybe those guys were onto something lol. I do hate shaving, but i do not sport a full beard lol. Most of the time i am distorted so can never actually see my full self, but there may have been a few times i did see myself sort of clearer. Has anyone else had this experience? What did you see? Do you think you are looking at an inner version of yourself? Are you looking at another version of yourself (Evil Spock) lol?

Wow this is a great question. I have never thought of it. I really don’t believe it would be dangerous since I think your dream mind would control what you see. Of course if you were out of body or remote viewing….. that might be a window into another place. Thought provoking. I can’t wait to see what others add.

I don't remember ever having a mirror in a dream. I don't spend much time looking in the mirror though. I check once a day after I comb my hair. I have known people who kept the mirrors in their homes covered except when they were using them. One woman believed people could reach through a mirror and steal her stuff, or come in to her house at night through a mirror.

To my knowledge, I can only remember one dream where I looked at myself in the mirror. It was very clear, as if I were awake, and nothing was different. I do keep the mirror on the bedroom closet door covered with a curtain that is gathered at top and bottom, because it is creepy to pass the mirror at night.

Physically, mirrors reflect light and thus reflect the world around us. Spiritually, light has symbolic attachment to illumination, awareness and wisdom etc. Therefore, in terms of spiritual symbolism, mirrors reflect truth. They reflect what is.

Dr. Raymond Moody has used mirrors in his quest to connect with those on the other side. Many believe they are portals.

As for the idea of seeing your reflection in a dream, that is based on Greek mythology that if you see yourself in a mirror in a dream it is an omen of death.

Feng Shui also has many rules on mirrors.

As you can see, mirrors appear to be items of concern in many cultures and particularly in the paranormal world, including dreams.

I do follow feng shui to some extent, which is why I keep the mirror on the bedroom closet door covered. I also have one on the wall next to the front door. This house has four closets with the mirrors built into the outside of each door.