Miraculous church

jadamz

the Countess
Tier-1 Mod
Reaction score
Agia Theodora Vasta a miraculous church in Arkadia – Greek City Times

The holy and glorious Virgin-martyr Theodora of Vasta, Arcadia, Megalopolis, of the Peloponnese in Greece, is commemorated by the Greek Orthodox Church on September 11.

Agia Theodora lived during the tenth century on the Peloponnesus in Greece, near the border between the regions of Messenia and Arcadia in a town called Vasta. When the area was raided by bandits, Theodora was determined to help defend her village, but as a woman, it was unthinkable to do so. Not to be deterred, Theodora secretly disguised herself as a male soldier in order to join the defense. Unfortunately, Theodora did not survive, and as she lay dying she uttered the following words:

“Let my body become a church, my hair a forest of trees, and my blood a spring to water them.”

use-1.jpg

The villagers, moved by her bravery and her untimely demise, built a church at the site of her grave. A local river re-routed to pass directly under the church. Eventually, trees sprouted from the roof of the church, the roots of which are not visible under the roof and neither inside or outside the church.

Her life must have made a huge impact on those people.