Minds/Future: Which would you rather....

Do you read intentions or every fleeting thought that someone has ?

Uncertain if your question 7 is rhetorical or not. But I’ll gladly share my own (just mine) experience with telepathy. I’ve had 40 years to reflect on and examine my many, many hundreds of telepathic experiences. I can tell you what I perceive is common (for me - just me) about this phenomenon. [I am also purposely excluding from this description all of my experiences with empathy and premonitions as they seem to me to be materially different.]

1. With only two known exceptions, I have always received telepathically only comprehensive, conceptual thoughts instead of discrete words. To your question Critter, these were singular thoughts and not everything someone was thinking about.

2. On one of the two occasions when I received “discrete words” it was because my GF was purposely trying to send separate words to me as a test of my telepathy.

3. On the other occasion when I received “discrete words” it was like a string of several complete sentences literally streaming into my mind. I believe the person who originated those thoughts had actually practiced (maybe repeatedly) what they wanted to say to me. So when they stood in front of me, they probably just replayed their practiced speech in their own mind. Hence, I received it in the same series of sentences rather than a comprehensive concept. Side Note: that occurrence was so unique that it was actually kind of weird even to me.

4. In every instance (except one which was confirmed), I have only ever received the thoughts of someone who wanted to communicate with me. Typically the thought’s source had something they wanted and intended to share with me. On rare occasion I have received thoughts that someone wished they could tell me but were somewhat reluctant to do so; in those few cases, I suspect their desire to share was probably greater than their reluctance to withhold that info.

5. Huge caveat to #4: it would of course be difficult for me to confirm that I have ever received telepathically any thoughts from someone who didn’t want to share because...um...that person would be unlikely to tell me aloud what they were thinking because they didn’t want to share in the first place.

6. I can only recall one specific occasion when I received multiple (as in very many, too many) thoughts from several people concurrently. That was a huge surprise and scary because it’d never happened before. I had to physically leave the room and build a psychic shield before I felt safe stepping back into that crowd.

7. Physical distance does not necessarily make a difference - I’ve received telepathic thoughts from people who were at least a dozen miles away. However, it does seem that being physically present with someone might increase the likelihood of sharing telepathically because, in my perception, the thought’s source may already be engage with me in other even unrelated conversation.

So to be clear, I have never “overheard” any instances of someone who was thinking about their extramarital affairs nor the extreme amounts of cash they have hoarded.

[Editing my post to share the following personal conclusion...] Based only on my own experiences, I believe that relevant to my own telepathy, the popular phrase "reading minds" isn't an accurate short description. I have not found that I can do anything close to reaching inside of someone's mind to uncover info. Instead for me it has been more of a "receipt of information" almost a sharing of info from another person into my mind. There have been at least three occasions when it appeared more like I had "read the mind" of someone else. But that's three times out of many hundreds of times (likely exceeding 1,000 times) which is not statistically material to me; and, I still feel that in those same three instances, those persons had some minimum desire to share at least a part of their thoughts with me.

Last edited:
Uncertain if your question 7 is rhetorical or not. But I’ll gladly share my own (just mine) experience with telepathy. I’ve had 40 years to reflect on and examine my many, many hundreds of telepathic experiences. I can tell you what I perceive is common (for me - just me) about this phenomenon. [I am also purposely excluding from this description all of my experiences with empathy and premonitions as they seem to me to be materially different.]

1. With only two known exceptions, I have always received telepathically only comprehensive, conceptual thoughts instead of discrete words. To your question Critter, these were singular thoughts and not everything someone was thinking about.

2. On one of the two occasions when I received “discrete words” it was because my GF was purposely trying to send separate words to me as a test of my telepathy.

3. On the other occasion when I received “discrete words” it was like a string of several complete sentences literally streaming into my mind. I believe the person who originated those thoughts had actually practiced (maybe repeatedly) what they wanted to say to me. So when they stood in front of me, they probably just replayed their practiced speech in their own mind. Hence, I received it in the same series of sentences rather than a comprehensive concept. Side Note: that occurrence was so unique that it was actually kind of weird even to me.

4. In every instance (except one which was confirmed), I have only ever received the thoughts of someone who wanted to communicate with me. Typically the thought’s source had something they wanted and intended to share with me. On rare occasion I have received thoughts that someone wished they could tell me but were somewhat reluctant to do so; in those few cases, I suspect their desire to share was probably greater than their reluctance to withhold that info.

5. Huge caveat to #4: it would of course be difficult for me to confirm that I have ever received telepathically any thoughts from someone who didn’t want to share because...um...that person would be unlikely to tell me aloud what they were thinking because they didn’t want to share in the first place.

6. I can only recall one specific occasion when I received multiple (as in very many, too many) thoughts from several people concurrently. That was a huge surprise and scary because it’d never happened before. I had to physically leave the room and build a psychic shield before I felt safe stepping back into that crowd.

7. Physical distance does not necessarily make a difference - I’ve received telepathic thoughts from people who were at least a dozen miles away. However, it does seem that being physically present with someone might increase the likelihood of sharing telepathically because, in my perception, the thought’s source may already be engage with me in other even unrelated conversation.

So to be clear, I have never “overheard” any instances of someone who was thinking about their extramarital affairs nor the extreme amounts of cash they have hoarded.
thanks wands for your experiences and views on this. have you ever tried to expand on this ability with any practices, flash cards etc... not just playing around but really trying to see just how far you could take it....that could be an interesting read as to what can be done to expand this ability. and I agree also that empath abilities are completely different than actual mind reading, even though if good enough you can almost know what someone is thinking just by knowing how they actually, truly feel at any given time.

Reactions: SierraRocks
I think this question boils down to how one views the nature of Good and Evil.
My perspective is God created us and everything in the world to love him and each other freely - He gave us free will. To know the future or someone's thoughts would abrogate God's will. It would not only undo natural law., but violate spiritual physics.*

* I made up a word:)!
Here is where the evil part comes in. I look at it this way because I think it supports the nature and consequences of free will. Genesis teaches when God created the angels He gave them free will. They were free to love Him and each other. When God created man he gave mankind a gift that he did not even give the angels - the power to create life.
And then "You Know Who" became jealous and staged a rebellion.:(
So God did not create evil but rather allowed his creatures free will to create it. So now if we expand the field to Angel's and Fallen Angels, ( and this is conjecture that's been pondered for thousands of years) -they can't read our thoughts and they don't know the future. *

*That's said , I do believe angels are allowed to peek into the future and push the woman with the baby carriage out of the way of the bus:).
My 2 cents- sort of. I don't know. I'm just trying to make sense of it all:)

Thanks for how you read.

thanks wands for your experiences and views on this. have you ever tried to expand on this ability with any practices, flash cards etc... not just playing around but really trying to see just how far you could take it....that could be an interesting read as to what can be done to expand this ability. and I agree also that empath abilities are completely different than actual mind reading, even though if good enough you can almost know what someone is thinking just by knowing how they actually, truly feel at any given time.

That's a really good point Paulm. So the related answer to your post comes in two parts.

1. At 16, I had my first precognition and separately my first telepathic communication. Actually, the sequence was the reverse but whatever. In the 12-18 months that followed, the telepathy recurred much more frequently than the precognition; but at 16 and 17, it was all just a singular jumble of "psychic" stuff to me.

Sometime during that same period, I tried several rounds of "guess the color of the next card to be turned over from a deck of playing cards - will it be red or black." The results weren't anything statistically meaningful. However your question has given me reason to reevaluate that original card-based effort and I realize now that way back then I was actually testing for the wrong skill! I was ignorantly testing for something like precognition when I had intended to be testing for telepathy. I should have been using another person to view cards and then attempt to send me info about the selected card without speaking. Without a helpful subject to send me the card's info, I was bound to fail at testing telepathy. But then again, what does an average teenager from a very non-religious family know about mystical stuff.

2. As mentioned in summary in my earlier post, my GF did a telepathy test with me which proved to her that I could receive her thoughts. The context of this was a party (maybe 12-16 people) and we were playing Pictionary. My GF and I were paired up as a team; but, this was at a time when we were not yet a couple. After several of my quick correct guesses at the answers, she decided on her own to try a few repeated tests. Essentially what she did was focused intently on the answer - which as the goal of Pictionary is an image of what one member of each team is supposed to draw - and then she looked into my eyes to be certain I was focused on her. Then once the game's timer was started, I'd guess the correct answer very, very quickly even without looking at many of the drawings anyone had done. She did this a few times and ultimately confirmed that I was able to guess the correct answer immediately upon the timer starting even before anyone could reasonably put their pencils to paper.

For full disclosure, my GF theorized that night that the reason I could receive her thoughts was because she is a "great sender"; and, I don't discount that as a separate truth. However, my psychic self was in full swing fully ten years before I ever met her. So her test made evident my strong ability to receive telepathically too.

I don't believe I've tried any other purposeful tests since I was a teenager. I'm just used to people overtly telling me that I've just "read their mind" (and not in the typical, somewhat expected-for-the-shared-situation kind of way). This leads me to want to append a point to the end of that earlier post...headed there now.

and I agree also that empath abilities are completely different than actual mind reading,

I just realized Paulm that I didn’t make any attempt to address the “empathy” part of your post from Tuesday.

For me, it is sometimes harder for me to consciously recognize the difference between receipt of an “empathic” message as compared to a “telepathic” one. Now, if I feel material pain which does not appear to be related to my own current physical state, then I can typically get confirmation later from the original source of their own concurrent pain, and I can then tag that event as an empathic communication.

It is not as easy for me to make this same kind of distinction when receiving an emotion-laden empathic communication where there is no physical pain involved. I have often struggled to determine if I sensed the original source’s “thoughts” or their “emotions”; I suspect I have at times come to the wrong conclusion about same.

Here’s a colorful (and at some level freaky) example event which left me pondering if I could have been experiencing either one or a mix of two communications – telepathic, empathic, or both.

I was taking a couple of college courses between 1998 and 2003; and, I apologize that without looking at my transcripts I can’t quote the exact year of this particular event. One of my studies was a mid-level psychology course which was only being presented on a military base. It took some effort but I got a semester long on-base, civilian visitor parking pass (because of the effort involved I suspect it might have been post 9/11). I was the only civilian in a class of about 24 Marines. The professor was a civilian too.

I sat upfront in the classroom because it was a subject that very much interested me especially as I was trying to learn about mind and brain in order to possibly know more about my psychic self at this time. During one random class, I got a really weird vibe and I looked back over my left shoulder. A redheaded Marine sitting two rows to my left and back about four rows was aggressively gripping the top and sides of his desk, his fair complexion skin was beet red, and he was breathing heavily and extruding saliva through his clenched teeth. My entire internal systems took a dive, like coming off a critical level sugar high, and I very literally ran out of the class and into the men’s room just a few doors away. Trying not to be too explicit, I had an immediate attach of violent vomiting alternating with explosive diarrhea. I know for a fact it took me over 15 minutes to compose myself so I could return to class.

Now, the visual of that Marine, my spidey-like vibe, and my own emotional (fight or flight) and physical (vomiting and diarrhea) reactions are all weird enough. But to me the strangest part of that entire encounter is that when I returned to class, no one seemed to give me any look or care at all and the redheaded Marine was still in his seat looking completely refreshed. No one commented on any of what had just happened inside of the classroom. At a minimum, I'd have expected someone to ask me if I was alright upon returning because my motions should have made it evident that I was clearly NOT alright when I left. Someone else in the room – likely the professor because he was facing into the classroom opposite the student’s line-of-sight – must have seen this guy…but possibly not the way that I did. I accept that the two dozen other adults in the room might have been pranking me, but I don’t know what would have prompted them to do so. I think that I experienced some psychic communication with that redheaded Marine but I don’t know exactly what to call it. It was absolutely acute as it ended almost as suddenly as it seemed to have started. I certainly seemed to feel something as my body reacted so violently; but, I don’t know if that was my own personal reaction to what I perceived or if I actually received some of that Marine’s own thoughts and/or feelings. I’ve been unable to tag this as just telepathic, just empathic, or a mix of both.

I would doubt this was a premonition instead because everything else I perceived through my visual and auditory systems appeared to be contemporaneous – nothing else seemed out of place within the minutes before nor the seconds during the time that I fled the classroom.

Last edited:
I just realized Paulm that I didn’t make any attempt to address the “empathy” part of your post from Tuesday.

For me, it is sometimes harder for me to consciously recognize the difference between receipt of an “empathic” message as compared to a “telepathic” one. Now, if I feel material pain which does not appear to be related to my own current physical state, then I can typically get confirmation later from the original source of their own concurrent pain, and I can then tag that event as an empathic communication.

It is not as easy for me to make this same kind of distinction when receiving an emotion-laden empathic communication where there is no physical pain involved. I have often struggled to determine if I sensed the original source’s “thoughts” or their “emotions”; I suspect I have at times come to the wrong conclusion about same.

Here’s a colorful (and at some level freaky) example event which left me pondering if I could have been experiencing either one or a mix of two communications – telepathic, empathic, or both.

I was taking a couple of college courses between 1998 and 2003; and, I apologize that without looking at my transcripts I can’t quote the exact year of this particular event. One of my studies was a mid-level psychology course which was only being presented on a military base. It took some effort but I got a semester long on-base, civilian visitor parking pass (because of the effort involved I suspect it might have been post 9/11). I was the only civilian in a class of about 24 Marines. The professor was a civilian too.

I sat upfront in the classroom because it was a subject that very much interested me especially as I was trying to learn about mind and brain in order to possibly know more about my psychic self at this time. During one random class, I got a really weird vibe and I looked back over my left shoulder. A redheaded Marine sitting two rows to my left and back about four rows was aggressively gripping the top and sides of his desk, his fair complexion skin was beet red, and he was breathing heavily and extruding saliva through his clenched teeth. My entire internal systems took a dive, like coming off a critical level sugar high, and I very literally ran out of the class and into the men’s room just a few doors away. Trying not to be too explicit, I had an immediate attach of violent vomiting alternating with explosive diarrhea. I know for a fact it took me over 15 minutes to compose myself so I could return to class.

Now, the visual of that Marine, my spidey-like vibe, and my own emotional (fight or flight) and physical (vomiting and diarrhea) reactions are all weird enough. But to me the strangest part of that entire encounter is that when I returned to class, no one seemed to give me any look or care at all and the redheaded Marine was still in his seat looking completely refreshed. No one commented on any of what had just happened inside of the classroom. At a minimum, I'd have expected someone to ask me if I was alright upon returning because my motions should have made it evident that I was clearly NOT alright when I left. Someone else in the room – likely the professor because he was facing into the classroom opposite the student’s line-of-sight – must have seen this guy…but possibly not the way that I did. I accept that the two dozen other adults in the room might have been pranking me, but I don’t know what would have prompted them to do so. I think that I experienced some psychic communication with that redheaded Marine but I don’t know exactly what to call it. It was absolutely acute as it ended almost as suddenly as it seemed to have started. I certainly seemed to feel something as my body reacted so violently; but, I don’t know if that was my own personal reaction to what I perceived or if I actually received some of that Marine’s own thoughts and/or feelings. I’ve been unable to tag this as just telepathic, just empathic, or a mix of both.

I would doubt this was a premonition instead because everything else I perceived through my visual and auditory systems appeared to be contemporaneous – nothing else seemed out of place within the minutes before nor the seconds during the time that I fled the classroom.

interesting story, thanks for posting it... sounds like you could have been receiving his anxiety or fear of being in an enclosed / crowded area,
(kinda common, given his choice of profession. especially if he had just recently returned from field work)....his level of anxiety could have hit you in an overpowering way that you didn't expect or that you didn't know how to control or what you were actually feeling.....
heres a question for you, its something that isn't discussed a lot but seems to be a kinda common theme with empathic abilities.... do you have nightmares quite frequently? just an idea ive wondered about from time to time but something that you don't see discussed much.

For me, it is sometimes harder for me to consciously recognize the difference between receipt of an “empathic” message as compared to a “telepathic” one. .

being hard to tell the difference could be because there is a fine line between the two in the sence that a lot of thoughts originate from emotion.
so while an empath can not actually read minds, it is possible to feel if someone is expecting something or wanting something just by how they "feel" or what emotion they are projecting...hard to explain but maybe you know what I meen....lol

heres a question for you, its something that isn't discussed a lot but seems to be a kinda common theme with empathic abilities.... do you have nightmares quite frequently? just an idea ive wondered about from time to time but something that you don't see discussed much.

To your point about nightmares Paulm, at this point in my life, it seems like I either don’t dream as frequently as I used to or I simply don’t recall once I'm awake dreaming as frequently as I used to.

I can tell you for certain that 10 years ago (and further back) I used to have very powerful nightmares even if they weren’t necessarily frequent. I know this was true because I would sometimes awake actually screaming – where I could start to vocalize the screaming while I was asleep. Whatever level of terror I’ve felt in my nightmares in the past, it is now very much toned down. This screaming while asleep has only happened maybe three times in the past 15 years.

One thing I don’t typically dream about is death or the risk of dying. About the only time I have dreams that include death at all are when I dream about my deceased parents and those dreams are never scary; but, they are always lucid. At some point in every dream that I can recall having about my parents (since their death), it dawns on me that one (not typically both) of them is dead and therefore I must be dreaming. At that point some part of my mind actively awakens and the rest of the dream experience is lucid.

I will share that on the morning of November 9th (this year), I had a dream which was unlike any I can ever recall having before. In fact it was so odd I PM’ed Debi to tell her about it. It was a single long dream (or possibly a few short sequential dreams) about what I discerned to be ghosts/spirits. Again this was unique for me because I don’t recall dreaming about “the dead” in the past. In that dream from the 9th, there were approximately a dozen entities – they were of various ages and genders – and nearly all of them appeared to me as regular humans but I could tell in the dream that they were not alive. Most of these entities appeared to me singularly but the last part of the dream had a group of four or five entities together (I couldn't count them as they were moving in and out of my field of vision and I couldn’t fully track each ones’ movements). I was not frightened by any of them. Besides the fact that dreaming of the dead is beyond rare for me, this dream also had no sound at all. I awoke immediately remembering the dream and the very first thing I made note of was the total absence of sound.

To round out the “reading minds” and “dream” stuff, I know for certain that I have had:

a. Empathic dreams where I wake up with pain that is later confirmed to be someone else’s pain they felt concurrent to my sleeping and to my waking.

b. Precognitive dreams where I am dreaming and as I pass through the hypnopomic state I begin to make note of or recall very exact details of my surroundings and activities – and even feelings – which within the next two days reoccur (exactly) in the real world.

c. Telepathic dreams including one where I “dreamt” a story which was identical to a novel my close friend had just begun reading that same night. I suspect his reading was concurrent to my dreaming; but, I didn’t awake from that dream so I couldn’t confirm the time – I could only confirm with him that I was in fact asleep before he started reading. That was one wicked psychic feast because, based on his own admission, my friend stopped reading that night at a point in his book which almost corresponds with where my dream ended. However, it seems that his waking mind and my sleeping mind were probably “entangled” because my dream ended on a biological sciences note that was a clear sequential tangent from the last chapter in the story he was reading…the difficulty with this tangent is that I did not have knowledge of the scientific matter which was the end to my dream…but, my friend did have that learned knowledge in his head. Somehow his mind and/or my mind extrapolated another few paragraphs to add to the chapter where he finished which then allowed my dream to end using specific knowledge that only he had. That was a hoot-and-a-half.

being hard to tell the difference could be because there is a fine line between the two in the sence that a lot of thoughts originate from emotion.
so while an empath can not actually read minds, it is possible to feel if someone is expecting something or wanting something just by how they "feel" or what emotion they are projecting...hard to explain but maybe you know what I meen....lol

I think I might know what you mean Paul. I developed my own description for it a couple dozen years ago. In short it goes like this:

Very few emotions that we perceive we have felt are the product of only a single, exclusive emotion. For example, when we say that we are feeling sadden by a specific life event, the actually feeling we are having is probably not a pure feeling of sadness. It is instead a special cocktail made up of two or more emotions with sadness making up the greatest portion of the mix.

Each emotional cocktail is probably unique because each life event leaves us feeling a mix of two - or likely more - emotions; and, those component emotions in the cocktail are always mixed in with varying "percentages" of the whole regardless of how slight the percentage differences might be.

Hence, it might be possible to empathically extrapolate what someone is thinking (or at least what they are being influenced by) based on the nuanced emotional percentages in the then-relevant cocktail.