Mind reading AI

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Mind-reading AI may spell end to humanity as we know it, but not because it will enslave us – Zizek

Technologies linking human consciousness to any sort of a cloud computing service could not just open the way for totalitarian mind control, but destroy the very essence of human relations, philosopher Slavoj Zizek says.
A computer that can read the thoughts of many people at once would make normal human life impossible, the Slovenian cultural philosopher told RT in the wake of the World Artificial Intelligence (AI) Conference in Shanghai, which saw Alibaba’s chairman Jack Ma and Tesla CEO Elon Musk clashing over the future of AI.

While the two technopreneurs engaged in a heated discussion over the possibility of humans being controlled by machines in the future, the senior researcher at the Institute for Sociology and Philosophy at the University of Ljubljana shared his thoughts on the issue with RT.

Our brain being connected to a machine is not a utopia
What I am studying now is the so-called phenomenon of wired brains, a possibility of our brains being connected with strong digital machines. And that is not a utopia. In the media lab at MIT, Massachusetts, they already have simple machines like that. It is like a helmet, nothing intrusive, they put it on your head.

And then something horrible happens - I saw the video - you think certain thoughts, you do not say anything, and the machine reproduces them either in writing or with artificial voice.

The primitive level machines can already read your thoughts. It is ok, if it involves your agreement but what if it is done (and it is easy to imagine that) without you knowing it?

Now, there is a serious option to read our thoughts, not just our emotional attitudes like being angry or sad but even the line of our thoughts in our mind. The next step in this “utopia” will be a computer that can read my thoughts and your thoughts that can connect us so that we can share our thoughts. If you and I are connected through the same computer, I can literally participate in your thinking directly without any external communication like word typing.

As you probably know, modern technology theorists Ray Kurzweil and Melanie Swan called it a new form of divinity.

Full story with several videos at site

Reactions: NobleHouse
Technologies linking human consciousness to any sort of a cloud computing service could not just open the way for totalitarian mind control, but destroy the very essence of human relations, philosopher Slavoj Zizek says.

Mind control? I don't think so. The technology is just reading detailed electroencephalographic measurements of brain waves, or local brain oxygenation levels via FMRI. These parameters are correlates to consciousness, not causes of consciousness. Given this, it is extremely unlikely that reversing the technology to try to stimulate the cerebral cortex could control consciousness. Further, the well-known pioneer in epilepsy brain surgery Wilder Penfield concluded after direct electrical brain stimulation experience with hundreds of patients that brain electrical stimulation simply could not control the psyche so as to force a willed decision - it just could force memories to appear and physical movements to be made.

Of course, that still leaves open the possibility of loss of mental privacy of thought, a nightmarish prospect.

Reactions: Debi
This sounds like a Borg like technology. Just ask Captain Picard , it’s not a good thing :D

Reactions: Debi