MILKY WAY – SHADES OF SPACE

Seahunter

AKA "Roy"
Reaction score
I collect coins, and am always on the lookout for something unique and ties in with my interests. This rectangular coin definitely fits that description! I thought I would share it with the PNF family.

MILKY WAY – SHADES OF SPACE – 2017 1 oz Pure Silver Coin – Samoa

This fascinating coin features a beautiful image of the Milky Way. As a special feature, this coin has a chromatic colour application. The print is directly on the silver surface without white printed basement. This gives the colour a metallic effect. In addition, some of the stars are omitted and so the proof-like silver surface shines through. Combining data from three great NASA Observatories, we see from the spaceobservatory Chandra the blue and violet X-rays, from Hubble the space telescope is yellow and from Spitzer another space telescope are the red data’s. It is a unique collaboration of these three observations using infrared light and x-ray light to see through the dust revealing the intense activity near the galactic core. Probably the most spectacular image of Milky Way and was never seen like this on a coin before.

Shades_of_Space__26715.jpg

Shades_of_Space_av-min.jpg

It's pretty, but I tend to call these dust catchers. Now, not to be a downer, but honestly, I've dealt with some of these "collector" items before and found they are virtually unsellaable on resale. Most of the time you get the silver value only or slightly less when reselling these things. A family member had a collection we tried to resell and didn't come close to the "retail" value. I also heard this from several of the coin shops we went to with them. They advised they are not a good investment so I guess I have to ask if you have found it to be otherwise?

Reactions: Charleh
It's pretty, but I tend to call these dust catchers. Now, not to be a downer, but honestly, I've dealt with some of these "collector" items before and found they are virtually unsellaable on resale. Most of the time you get the silver value only or slightly less when reselling these things. A family member had a collection we tried to resell and didn't come close to the "retail" value. I also heard this from several of the coin shops we went to with them. They advised they are not a good investment so I guess I have to ask if you have found it to be otherwise?
Yes, very true if you're talking sets from like the Franklin Mint, etc. They have a horrible resale value. I'm talking like the collector car series on ingots, etc. One of the reasons I went into coin collecting was I figured at least if I'm "blowing" money, it's going into money - real coins! :p But seriously, yes, there are bullion coins especially where you can get burned, and also there are way too many US Mint coins produced for the most part now which limits resale. I try to go for uniqueness and scarcity and stick with numismatic coins - ones that have value above the melt value. This Milky Way coin is definitely unique, it is a relatively low mintage, and it already has about a 50% increase in the secondary market. It also has a wide audience meaning it will be attractive to coin enthusiasts, space enthusiasts, art/photo enthusiasts, etc. so the 2,000 coins should go fairly quickly.

Reactions: Debi
That’s a beautiful coin
I think so too. Here is the second coin in the series, The Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope.

To commemorate the 10th anniversary of the Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope this Shades of Space Edition shows a beautiful picture taken by Fermi Gamma Ray. Fermi Gamma Ray was launched on 2008 and is a space observatory being used to perform gamma-ray astronomy observations from low Earth orbit.

2018_Samoa_1_Ounce_Shades_of_Space_Fermi_Gamma_Telescope_Colored_Silver_Coin_1024x1024-min.jpg

Reactions: damon
I think so too. Here is the second coin in the series, The Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope.

To commemorate the 10th anniversary of the Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope this Shades of Space Edition shows a beautiful picture taken by Fermi Gamma Ray. Fermi Gamma Ray was launched on 2008 and is a space observatory being used to perform gamma-ray astronomy observations from low Earth orbit.

2018_Samoa_1_Ounce_Shades_of_Space_Fermi_Gamma_Telescope_Colored_Silver_Coin_1024x1024-min.jpg
cool pic

Reactions: Seahunter