Microsoft morphing into Apple?

surge

Linux Inside!
Reaction score
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/will-microsoft-alienate-advanced-users-windows-10/

Windows 10 will be the last Windows version, or so Microsoft says. Of course, it won’t be the last update. Instead, the company is changing the way updates are delivered, making it easier for most and restricting freedom of choice for others.

In a world where selling operating systems to consumers no longer makes money, these changes are a necessary evil, but that won’t make them more palatable to die-hard fans. Windows 10 will be a lot more like OS X than people realize, and not everyone will like it.

People don’t buy operating systems, they buy devices

One year after its support expired, Windows XP’s market share is still above 15 percent, more than Windows 8 and 8.1 combined. The XP situation highlights Microsoft’s dilemma. Consumers buy devices for the features they offer and the tasks they solve, but rarely buy operating systems. People still on Windows XP are happy with the capabilities offered, and are more likely to buy an entirely new device than a new version of Windows.

The TL;DR version: Going forward, Microsoft plans no new versions of Windows beyond 10 and will release periodic updates the way Apple does. The downside for home users is that there will be no control over those updates, so if MS pushes out a bad patch you don't have the option of waiting a few days before you install it. The upside is that they plan to have more people involved in testing updates before they are distributed in an effort to avoid borking your system.

Personally, I don't like this. There's just something about not being in control of my computer's updates that I don't like. This will probably keep me from updating my Windows 7 machine until support runs out. After that, the hardware will probably be so old that it will become a Linux-only box.

Without going into detail (easily found via internet search), the likelihood that most Linux distros won't be installable on new Windows 10 computers only makes me more irritated.

Reactions: Debi
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/will-microsoft-alienate-advanced-users-windows-10/

Windows 10 will be the last Windows version, or so Microsoft says. Of course, it won’t be the last update. Instead, the company is changing the way updates are delivered, making it easier for most and restricting freedom of choice for others.

In a world where selling operating systems to consumers no longer makes money, these changes are a necessary evil, but that won’t make them more palatable to die-hard fans. Windows 10 will be a lot more like OS X than people realize, and not everyone will like it.

People don’t buy operating systems, they buy devices

One year after its support expired, Windows XP’s market share is still above 15 percent, more than Windows 8 and 8.1 combined. The XP situation highlights Microsoft’s dilemma. Consumers buy devices for the features they offer and the tasks they solve, but rarely buy operating systems. People still on Windows XP are happy with the capabilities offered, and are more likely to buy an entirely new device than a new version of Windows.

The TL;DR version: Going forward, Microsoft plans no new versions of Windows beyond 10 and will release periodic updates the way Apple does. The downside for home users is that there will be no control over those updates, so if MS pushes out a bad patch you don't have the option of waiting a few days before you install it. The upside is that they plan to have more people involved in testing updates before they are distributed in an effort to avoid borking your system.

Personally, I don't like this. There's just something about not being in control of my computer's updates that I don't like. This will probably keep me from updating my Windows 7 machine until support runs out. After that, the hardware will probably be so old that it will become a Linux-only box.

Without going into detail (easily found via internet search), the likelihood that most Linux distros won't be installable on new Windows 10 computers only makes me more irritated.
This has already made my life hell at work.

Reactions: surge