Meteors incoming!

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Asteroid the size of the Washington Monument will fly past Earth this month

Just days after an asteroid the size of the Empire State Building flew past Earth, another "potentially hazardous" space rock will do the same.

Asteroid 2019 OU1 will safely pass by Earth on Aug. 28, coming within 639,000 miles or 0.00687 astronomical units of the planet. At an estimated diameter of 71 to 160 meters (233 to 524 feet), 2019 OU1 has sparked comparisons to the 555-foot tall Washington Monument.

2019 OU1 is also hurtling through space at roughly 42,650 feet per second, according to data compiled by NASA.

The space rock is known as a near-Earth object (NEO) and "potentially hazardous" NEOs are defined as space objects that come within 0.05 astronomical units and measure more than 460 feet in diameter, according to NASA.

According to a 2018 report put together by Planetary.org, there are more than 18,000 NEOs.

NASA has been preparing for planetary defense from asteroid strikes for years. A recent survey showed that Americans prefer a space program that focuses on potential asteroid impacts over sending humans back to the moon or to Mars,

In 2016, NASA formalized the agency’s prior program for detecting and tracking NEOs and put it inside its Science Mission Directorate.

Last June, NASA unveiled a 20-page plan that detailed the steps the U.S. should take to be better prepared for NEOs -- such as asteroids and comets -- that come within 30 million miles of the planet.

Then we have this one that hit Jupiter

"NASA has been preparing for planetary defense from asteroid strikes for years."
- Yes ....by digging a big hole for them to hide in.

If one was going to hit us, I doubt they would be saying anything about it.

Reactions: Debi
"NASA has been preparing for planetary defense from asteroid strikes for years."
- Yes ....by digging a big hole for them to hide in.

If one was going to hit us, I doubt they would be saying anything about it.
I agree with ya!

There have been an unusual amount of these "surprise" asteroids this year, enough to cause some concern. Couple that with the reportage on the DART system to redirect incoming and one has reason for concern. Earth is of course a bit of a cosmic shooting gallery historically, so no guarantees offered.

Earth is in the middle of a 'shooting gallery,' and a new NASA initiative is trying to protect us

562f5662dd0895b64c8b4617-960-673.jpg

Currently defenceless the asteroid that does hit us and it will won't be detected until it is a matter of hours away.

Material I have read suggests that our best bet is using missiles to break an asteroid up as Russia is alleged to have done with a recent strike in Siberia: