Meteorite Auction

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

Those are pretty big from the pic. I wonder what people would be willing to pay for them.

I have collected a few meteorites during my lifetime, various types. A couple of years ago I picked up a sample of the Chelyabinsk fall in Russia (2013). I should dig them out and take some pics one of these days.

I have collected a few meteorites during my lifetime, various types. A couple of years ago I picked up a sample of the Chelyabinsk fall in Russia (2013). I should dig them out and take some pics one of these days.
That would interesting to see. Are they very small or did you get a hunk ?

Mostly small specimens. Meteorites are sold by weight so the big ones are out of my league.

Here is my largest:

20210223_213202.jpg

This is another nickel-iron meteorite, sliced to show the interior matrix:

20210223_213253.jpg

Detail:

20210223_213308.jpg

Reactions: GoneWestUtah
I just realized that it's been 8 years since the Chelyabinsk meteor fall of 2013. I managed to pick up a small specimen. This one is a stony-type meteorite. Fortunately! Had it been iron, it may not have broken-up at high altitude. The meteor was estimated to be about the size of a bus.

I'm sure most of us remember it in the media at the time. Go to You Tube and enter Chelyabinsk as your search term, there are many videos posted.

This is about a 3 gram fragment, the size of an American or Canadian quarter.

Chelyabinsk 01.jpg

Chelyabinsk 02.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Debi
I just realized that it's been 8 years since the Chelyabinsk meteor fall of 2013. I managed to pick up a small specimen. This one is a stony-type meteorite. Fortunately! Had it been iron, it may not have broken-up at high altitude. The meteor was estimated to be about the size of a bus.

I'm sure most of us remember it in the media at the time. Go to You Tube and enter Chelyabinsk as your search term, there are many videos posted.

View attachment 30626

View attachment 30627
I actually remember the night that hit. I was listening to a radio host who went real time with the info on it as it happened.

View attachment 30626

View attachment 30627
Wow you are a collector. That’s a good size piece.