Memories and Emotions

I have noticed that as I get older, that more positive memories seem to surface than negative ones. I once lived in a town where my entire family had an awful experience, but now when I think of that town, I more often than not only remember the good things about it.

I've just found a lot of memories pop up these days...both good and bad. Kind of like an early life review thing going on here...lol The good news is the bad stuff I'm now learning to accept and if it was of my own making (which it normally was) to forgive myself for bad choices.

Another crazy thing of late....I've found if a bad memory pops up and I've already dealt with it, I have this handy little "delete" button in my head. I can remind myself "dealt with that one already" and I actually say "delete" and can move on. (Yes, it's nuts but it works for me...lol)

I've just found a lot of memories pop up these days...both good and bad. Kind of like an early life review thing going on here...lol The good news is the bad stuff I'm now learning to accept and if it was of my own making (which it normally was) to forgive myself for bad choices.

Another crazy thing of late....I've found if a bad memory pops up and I've already dealt with it, I have this handy little "delete" button in my head. I can remind myself "dealt with that one already" and I actually say "delete" and can move on. (Yes, it's nuts but it works for me...lol)
That actually sounds useful! I have trouble deleting some things, and tend to keep playing it over in my head. I'm going to try that.

Reactions: Lynne
They say the oldest memories are the last to go, but I am coming up empty on huge sections of my early years. Really puzzling. My siblings can talk about events that I figured large into, yet I have zero memory of those events or even the years they occurred in. The passage of time is blurring and erasing things. :(

I find the older I get, the less emotion there is tied to my earliest memories. I don't think of things as good or bad from way back, just as a events that occurred. Might be a case of time healing all wounds, as well as damping emotional highs.