Maybe a Glitch? I'd love input on this...

stay_safe

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
Im not totally sure if this is an experience or not, but I'd love yalls input on what happened, or what I think has happened.
First off, memories. Memories are patterns fired off in your brain in a specific way, over and over again. That being said, I have very specific memories associated with 2 things;(Please bear with me on this.)
One, my mother. Two, the peanut butter flavored cookies known as Nutter Butters.
For those that don't know, there are 2 main types of these cookies. There are the ones that are like wafers, rectangular and split in multiple beveled segments.
Then there are the ones that are actual cookies, and they're shaped a bit like peanuts.
I have it in my mind, and as far as I can remember, my mom has always loved the actual cookies. Its burned into my brain. When I connect the subjects "Mom" and "Nutter Butters", my head will bring up the fact that she loves the cookie type.
However.
A few weeks back by this point, I was metaphorically punched in the stomach as she told me she's always liked the wafers.
My dad corroborated this, and told me she's always liked the wafers. This might not seem super serious to anyone else, but it was like a slap in the face. I couldn't help but verbally freak out about it in front of her. I had to go walk outside and cool down. I wasn't mad at her or anything, but this bizzare switching of preferences has really been bugging me. I've half joked with her that I've been put in an alternate reality, but internally I sometimes wonder if thats actually what happened....
Any thoughts and inputs on this are welcomed, I haven't really been sure where to express my frustration about this. I apologize if this seems a little silly.

Sounds somewhat like what's known as the Mandela Effect. It's basically remembering something that you find out isn't/wasn't true, a false memory. The name is derived from many remembering former South African president Nelson Mandela dying in the 1980s while in prison, only to discover they were incorrect when he actually died about 10 years.

I wouldn't let it bother you. Yes, it's frustrating, but we are all imperfect, as are our memories. It happens.

I think that NutterButter makes two shapes

NutterButter.jpg

I've had something similar happen with my mother, she is super honest but has disagreed with me a couple of times when I know I'm right. I don't know how old your folks are but I know it is age affecting my mum's memory.

It's hard to say. Not sure i buy the 'glitch' thing, but who knows. I agree memory can play tricks on ya and with age memory can become stretched and foggy. I agree with Duke though to not get upset about it. Oh, and never argue with mom lol. They are usually right regardless :) Except when my parents came to stay at my house and my mother threw out my jackets and glasses and what ever else lol. That is grounds for being a bit bent;bg2

I have experienced what I believe are small glitches, it's a lot to write at the moment. I believe we have discussed it here before. When I have time and am up to the task I will share again. I have forgotten most of them and that is the nature of these things. If they happen to you, like a dream, you have to cement them into your memory or write them down because they are designed to slip from your memory.