Massive dog or wolf? What is that?

Discussion in 'Cryptids and Creatures' started by Debi, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Debi

Debi
    Expand Collapse
    Owner/Admin
    Staff

A bizarre piece of footage that appeared online this week shows a monstrous-looking creature of some kind lunging at a man's dog. The video was purportedly recorded back in 2015, but only popped up on YouTube yesterday. Little is known about the nature of the footage, only that it was allegedly shot somewhere in the United States. Who filmed the video and where, specifically, it took place remain a mystery.

Despite the lack of clarity surrounding the origin of the footage, what is shows is pretty remarkable. In the video, a dog can be heard barking in the background as the camera focuses on a dark mass among some trees. Suddenly, the anomaly springs up from the ground and is revealed to be an enormous animal. And, making matters all the more unsettling, the creature is headed straight for the dog that disturbed it.

The two animals briefly keep their distance from each other until the encounter culminates with a confrontation. Fortunately, that moment is not featured on the video, so those worried about seeing such a scene can rest easy. That said, the man's shouting and the dog's yelping seem to suggest that things did not go well for his pet when it met the beast.

As to what the creature could have been, there are a few schools of thought on that matter. Much like the weird wolf killed in Montana last month, some imaginative observers have theorized that the animal is either a dog-man or a not-quite-extinct dire wolf. More skeptical viewers argue that it is simply a normal, albeit incredibly large, wolf. And a handful of people have actually proposed that the mystery beast might actually be a pony! Can you identify the odd creature?

2. Charleh

Charleh
    Expand Collapse
    Tier-1 Mod

I wanna meet the idiot that called this hellhound-esque monster a pony.

3. Charleh

Charleh
    Expand Collapse
    Tier-1 Mod

Wait, dire Wolves were a real thing?

4. WitchAndShaman

WitchAndShaman
    Expand Collapse
    Truth Seeker

I followed the link. I think it looks like a fish-bird. :p

Apparently I can only handle so many cryptids in a row before I get them confused.

Lynne and Charleh like this.
  5. Paulm

Paulm
    Expand Collapse
    Truth Seeker

I dunno what that was...... but ummm, I think it ate the guys dog at the end.........was that dog a malamute?...we had one of those once and it weighed around 130 pounds...those are big dogs and this thing was 3 times that size.

Lynne likes this.
  6. Charleh

Charleh
    Expand Collapse
    Tier-1 Mod

Nope. I know a malamute and that black dog is definitely not one.

7. Duke

Duke
    Expand Collapse

That looks like a very large wild boar. As you can see below, those things can get huge.

Attached Files:

8. Charleh

Charleh
    Expand Collapse
    Tier-1 Mod

And they can run fast. But their legs aren’t as long as the creature’s in the video.

Also hogs tend to make the unholiest of unholy sounds when they’re mad or charging.

Paulm likes this.
  9. Paulm

Paulm
    Expand Collapse
    Truth Seeker

Lol....not the black one,...the guys dog, its colorings were kind of like a malamutes.

Charleh likes this.
  10. Charleh

Charleh
    Expand Collapse
    Tier-1 Mod

Yup. Definitely a malamute. And to think if a malamute is huge, how big was wolfy here?