Many pairs of boots.

Rowan2222

Truth Seeker
Reaction score
I took my partner to Specsavers in town for an eye test and I was left waiting in a waiting area on the first floor while tests were done. The address is 56 Union Street Aberdeen.

I was sitting opposite e a staircase that went up another 2 floors.

While I sat there I saw many pairs of boots going up and down those narrow stairs - very neat, polished, Victorian boots with high heels and buttons. But the quantity was too many for just workers...and too neat really. It then came to me that it was some kind of school for women.
The building was unlikely. It was a 3 storey narrow building with large windows but nothing like a modern school layout. I asked the staff if it used to be school but nobody knew and I just got a lot of funny looks.

So I researched it when I got home. I found this -
Scottish Post Office Directory 1849-1850
(186) - Towns > Aberdeen > 1848-1854 - Post-office directory > 1849-1850 - Scottish Directories - National Library of Scotland
Page 182
'Teachers' - Meston Thomas, 56 Union Street.

I have also found an advert for the finishing school in another publication for that address.

So it did used to be a school for girls in 1850.

Rowan, I bet you had a blast looking that up. It's a lot of fun looking up information in museums and historical societies.

Reactions: garnetsilver
I like the boots. I have always loved Victorian boots, and that must have been an interesting experience!

Wow that’s an amazing event. Do you think you were seeing through time to the past ? Reading residual energy? Did you get any other psysic impressions at the time?

Funny how people working in historic buildings don't give two figs about the place. I work in a historic theatre here where I live and I was all over the history of the place when I first started working there. Great experience for you!

Funny how people working in historic buildings don't give two figs about the place. I work in a historic theatre here where I live and I was all over the history of the place when I first started working there. Great experience for you!
I love old buildings and history too. It’s fun to know how things have changed.

Reactions: Keel M.
The research was just what I could find online again last night. I do research what I experience, and most of that is at libraries and a local historical society helps. Some stuff is just too old or insignificant to turn up anything, but I really do get a kick out of finding hard evidence.

Other feelings while I was there; When I was looking up the stairs I did have a feeling that it was a classroom type set up, but I couldn't see anything other than a staircase from the bottom of it.
I did feel that the stairs down to the front door were not correct and had been changed.

It was certainly one of the more pleasant experiences. Mostly I just get death and images related to that, and like I said I don't go looking for them anymore. It was just a snippet of the past.