Man Who Spent $16000 on Dog Costume

My feelings on this are very mixed.

On one hand I am awe struck by the amazing amount of work that went into that costume. It's the type of thing I would have expected by the likes of legendary artists Jim Henson or Stan Winston. Watching his movements I can't help but wonder how he is positioned in there, where exactly are his knees?

At the same time I'm horrified that people are enabling such behavior to this extent. It seems like this guy is going to extreme, obsessive levels that could indicate some deeper psychological trauma being placated rather than resolved. Especially as this is something he doesn't share with family and friends, which reminds me more of destructive coping mechanisms (drugs, alcohol, self harm) that a person is too embarrassed to share than someone getting a little too involved in a hobby.

$16K can buy a lot of quality time with a mental health expert.

My feelings on this are very mixed.

On one hand I am awe struck by the amazing amount of work that went into that costume. It's the type of thing I would have expected by the likes of legendary artists Jim Henson or Stan Winston. Watching his movements I can't help but wonder how he is positioned in there, where exactly are his knees?

At the same time I'm horrified that people are enabling such behavior to this extent. It seems like this guy is going to extreme, obsessive levels that could indicate some deeper psychological trauma being placated rather than resolved. Especially as this is something he doesn't share with family and friends, which reminds me more of destructive coping mechanisms (drugs, alcohol, self harm) that a person is too embarrassed to share than someone getting a little too involved in a hobby.

$16K can buy a lot of quality time with a mental health expert.
Reminds me of a Garfield cartoon years ago where Jon was excitedly showing Garfield some ridiculous gizmo he bought. Garfield's response was, "It's amazing the things some people would rather have than money."

Welcome to the strange world of Furries and Therians. I have an inlaw who is part of this strange life style so am familiar with this whether I wish to be or not. This dog guy falls more in the 20% of Furries who actually believe their spirit is other than human thus a Therian. Haven't seen this relative in years, but when I first found out about it I was rather shocked about the whole subculture!

Reactions: Lynne
A Henny Youngman goldmine.

• Haha
Reactions: Debi
Welcome to the strange world of Furries and Therians. I have an inlaw who is part of this strange life style so am familiar with this whether I wish to be or not. This dog guy falls more in the 20% of Furries who actually believe their spirit is other than human thus a Therian. Haven't seen this relative in years, but when I first found out about it I was rather shocked about the whole subculture!

That's interesting, although I'm not as impressed with that article as I normally would be. Psychology Today usually has good articles but every now and then they get some like this.

Two things that jump out at me:
The article says it's a "misconception" that Furries have specific fetishes then reveals that it's only about 20% who have the fetish. A 1 in 5 ratio is a minority, but not a misconception. It's a bit like saying "That never happens, except for the times when it actually happens."

The other is this quote: So while most of us would look at a person who watches cartoons or costumes as an anthropomorphic dog, wondering: “What’s wrong with that person?”

There is a massively huge difference, in sccope, scale amd meaning, between dressing up as a dog and watching cartoons. Nobody should be conflating these two activities as being equal.

Funny how the guy is worried now about what his friends will think...months after this story already was released out to the public. Perhaps he should've kept this large tid bit hush hush. Expensive attention grab that didn't go according to plan.

Two things that jump out at me:
The article says it's a "misconception" that Furries have specific fetishes then reveals that it's only about 20% who have the fetish. A 1 in 5 ratio is a minority, but not a misconception. It's a bit like saying "That never happens, except for the times when it actually happens."
Honestly, Steve, in my direct experience with the group, that number is waaaay off. I would say over 60% have some sort of sexual component involved. (I was raising a nephew at the time and his mom was involved with them, thus my knowledge base.)

Honestly, Steve, in my direct experience with the group, that number is waaaay off. I would say over 60% have some sort of sexual component involved. (I was raising a nephew at the time and his mom was involved with them, thus my knowledge base.)
As humans...i am sure most of us have some sort of 'component' they dig. Running around in a fur suit, nope ;)