Man Finds Pre-Revolutionary War Fort in Home

T-Bob

Truth Seeker
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Man finds a 253-year-old pre-Revolutionary War fort hidden in his home

Great article about Byrnside's Fort in Union, Monroe County, WV where I live. The board and batten covered log home was built around an old blockhouse which was added to over the years. The board-and batten exterior gothic revival siding dates to the 1850s, and is a style which I'm pretty sure is unique to Monroe County, with the rounded tops. I know of four other homes in the county, all dating to (or remodeled in) the 1850s, with very similar siding. Here's a shot of Byrnside's Fort that I shot in 2021, when John was doing restoration work on the historic fort. I know of one other home in the county built of logs from an old fort, but in the later one, the logs were moved from a dismantled fort sometime before the Civil War.

Byrnside's Fort.jpg

Wow Bob, thanks for sharing this article. It took some time to go through it but well worth the effort. I never knew about the small forts built like this. I learned something today. I love history and to think about all the lives now gone is amazing. The passing of time and people off the scene is sad but it is nice that something of their memory is preserved.

Man finds a 253-year-old pre-Revolutionary War fort hidden in his home

Great article about Byrnside's Fort in Union, Monroe County, WV where I live. The board and batten covered log home was built around an old blockhouse which was added to over the years. The board-and batten exterior gothic revival siding dates to the 1850s, and is a style which I'm pretty sure is unique to Monroe County, with the rounded tops. I know of four other homes in the county, all dating to (or remodeled in) the 1850s, with very similar siding. Here's a shot of Byrnside's Fort that I shot in 2021, when John was doing restoration work on the historic fort. I know of one other home in the county built of logs from an old fort, but in the later one, the logs were moved from a dismantled fort sometime before the Civil War.

View attachment 54590
Great story. What a great house and property. I'd move there tomorrow!