Machu Picchu Airport plans

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
'It would destroy it': new international airport for Machu Picchu sparks outrage

'It would destroy it': new international airport for Machu Picchu sparks outrage

3750.jpg

Peruvian archaeologists decry new airport that would carry tourists directly to already fragile Inca citadel

The Machu Picchu complex is a Unesco world heritage site, and Peru’s most visited tourist attraction. Photograph: Cris Bouroncle/AFP/Getty Images
Among the Inca archeological sites that abound in Peru, none draw nearly as many tourists as the famed citadel of Machu Picchu. There were more than 1.5 million visitors in 2017, almost double the limit recommended by Unesco, putting a huge strain on the fragile ruins and local ecology.

Now, in a move that has drawn a mixture of horror and outrage from archaeologists, historians and locals, work has begun on clearing ground for a multibillion-dollar international airport, intended to jet tourists much closer to Machu Picchu .

Full story at site

Reactions: Benway
That is absolutely horrible!! I understand the region is probably poor, but the presence of these jets and everything else will destroy the one thing that brings tourists to the area. When that's all gone/destroyed and the tourists don't come, what then?
I agree with you, Keel. Now that it will be easy access they will have to build more hotels and tourist related needs so the area is going to drastically change.

Reactions: 7Critter
I agree with the above statements. Maybe they will limit access to the site.