Mabon

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
41900284_1169316039884007_9219681766594314240_n (Small).jpg

Only one week until the Autumn Equinox, also known as Mabon, when night and day are at equal length. It is a time of great balance, a time to centre and ground ourselves to the earth.

Mabon is a Pagan festival called a Sabbat, it is the final harvest festival of the year, because after this day vegetation will begin to wither and die, and fields will become dry and barren. Trees are shedding their leaves while fruit and nuts fall from the branches. Even though it will begin to feel colder and get darker all around us we are surrounded by the warm colours of fire such as reds, yellows, oranges and browns.

We celebrate Mabon by setting up an alter to honour the season. On the alter put anything you can find that will represent Autumn, such as fallen leaves, pine cones and nuts. Add fruit and vegetables like pumpkins, squash, carrots, turnip grapes, berries etc, Add apples by cutting them horizontally to reveal the Pentagram in their centre. You can also add corn bundles, wheat bundles or corn or wheat dollies. Light candles with Autumn colours of red, orange, brown, or gold. Give the alter as an honour to the God and Goddess who bestow the gifts upon us. When lighting the candles ask the Goddess for her blessings.

Mabon is also a time of making family feasts and stews and of sharing food with friends, family and neighbours, add lots of root vegetables with a choice of meat (leave out the meat if you're vegetarian) to a slow cooked stew. Drink cider and apple juice, also apple, rhubarb, pumpkin or meat pies are customary with a pentacle carved or added onto the pastry before cooking.

This coming Mabon is a time to give thanks for the abundance of food and the harvest, to thank the God and Goddess for their gifts and their sacrifices. It is a time to appreciate what we have in life and give thanks for all our blessings no matter how small they may be.

Reactions: Charleh
Thanks for the reminder of the equinox and the Sabbat Debi.

Wanted to ask if the crockpot candy recipe you shared the other day - the one with nuts - might be an appropriate celebratory food? It looked pretty “abundant” to me.

Reactions: Lynne
Thanks for the reminder of the equinox and the Sabbat Debi.

Wanted to ask if the crockpot candy recipe you shared the other day - the one with nuts - might be an appropriate celebratory food? It looked pretty “abundant” to me.

That should do it! lol I gain weight just looking at the recipe...lol

Reactions: WitchAndShaman
Well, actually, celebratory food list is pretty good. On account of apple juice not sure. We somehow arranged the holidays with my friends in San Francisco. Ordered sort of fruit juice from a very cool online store with delivery in San Francisco. He was called "Better Brain Juice" And this is probably best cold pressed juices that I ever drank. So I strongly advise.

Me too. Mushroom hunting is good too. It’s like an Easter egg hunt for funky fungus. o_O
I see them but I don’t know which ones are ok to eat so I let them be lol