Lucid Dreaming

Mokey

Magically Delicious
Reaction score
Lucid dreaming is awareness of the fact that you are dreaming. This can range from a faint, vague recognition of the fact to a broad awareness of something that is beyond what you ever have experienced during your waking life.

Lucid dreams can occur spontaneously in the middle of a regular dream when you suddenly realize that you're dreaming. With awareness and practice, once you realize this, you have the ability to control your dreams - and this is the essential part of lucid dreaming.

If you'd like to experience lucid dreams, here are some ideas of things you can do in your waking times to increase the likelihood of lucid dreams.

★ Reality Checks
Perform some sort of "reality checks" during the day - this can be as simple as asking yourself at random times throughout the day, "Am I dreaming?" With practice, you may automatically remember to do it during your dreams.

★ Dream Journal
Keep a small notebook or recording device by your bed. Discipline yourself to write or record your dreams immediately upon waking. Don't try to analyze your dreams during these times, just get them written or recorded before they fade from your mind. This trains your mind that you are serious about remembering your dreams and recognizing those things that are unique to your dreams. Later you can look for common dream elements, such as people, places and your own, unique "dream signs."

★ Sleep Patterns
Who knows your personal sleep schedule better than you? Use this awareness to arrange your sleep pattern to help to induce lucid dreams. Lucid dreams are strongly associated with Rapid Eye Movement (REM) sleep, which is most abundant just before your final awakening each day (when you wake up in the morning). Many us are awakened from this precious REM sleep by the alarm clock - a good reason to keep your dream journal close, since the alarm may wake you from a lucid dream. Taking a nap a few hours after waking in the morning - perhaps on a dark, rainy weekend day - is the most common time to have a lucid dream.

★ Wake Back to Bed (WBTB) Technique
Here's a technique that is said to be successful in inducing lucid dreaming. The WBTB Technique involves setting your alarm clock to five hours after you fall asleep. You know best how long it generally takes you to fall asleep - the lucky ones fall asleep "as soon as their head hits the pillow," while others take longer (or much longer!). So add some time to that five hours to take in to consideration the time it generally takes you to fall asleep.

Once the alarm goes off, stay awake for one hour. Use this time to focus your mind on lucidity - and lucidity only. Use meditation techniques to maintain your focus. At the end of this hour, say to yourself, "I will be aware that I'm dreaming." Do this repeatedly as you relax into sleep. As random thoughts pop up, repeat the self suggestion. Then set your alarm for 4 1/2 hours, and when you are awakened this second time, try to remember and write or record your dream as much as possible.

Wishing you sweet - and lucid - dreams!

http://www.thesmartwitch.com

I had a horrible nightmare once where I was being chased by people I knew. It was truly terrifying. I heard my conscious voice in my head asking if I wanted to wake up or finish it. I said finish it. It all worked out. I got away.

Lucid dreaming is awareness of the fact that you are dreaming. T:scissors:...

★ Wake Back to Bed (WBTB) Technique
Here's a technique that is said to be successful in inducing lucid dreaming. The WBTB Technique involves setting your alarm clock to five hours after you fall asleep. You know best how long it generally takes you to fall asleep - the lucky ones fall asleep "as soon as their head hits the pillow," while others take longer (or much longer!). So add some time to that five hours to take in to consideration the time it generally takes you to fall asleep.

Once the alarm goes off, stay awake for one hour. Use this time to focus your mind on lucidity - and lucidity only. Use meditation techniques to maintain your focus. At the end of this hour, say to yourself, "I will be aware that I'm dreaming." Do this repeatedly as you relax into sleep. As random thoughts pop up, repeat the self suggestion. Then set your alarm for 4 1/2 hours, and when you are awakened this second time, try to remember and write or record your dream as much as possible.

Wishing you sweet - and lucid - dreams!

http://www.thesmartwitch.com
This is a great suggestion, although i think the alarm times would require modification to the individual. For example, I wake after 4 or 5 hours naturally, and rarely fall back to sleep due to pain, stress, etc

Reactions: Mokey
I had a horrible nightmare once where I was being chased by people I knew. It was truly terrifying. I heard my conscious voice in my head asking if I wanted to wake up or finish it. I said finish it. It all worked out. I got away.
I hate chase dreams. I know they are supposed to mean something, but i dont remember what.

Reactions: Grinchesbro