LSD

TonyM

Deactivated Account
Reaction score
Website
monaghan.tv
Not the mind altering drug but the currency I grew up with in the UK before being decimalised in 1971. It went like this;

There were 12 pence in a shilling and 20 shillings in a pound. So that made

12 x 20 = 240 pence in a pound.

Libra meant pound, solidus meant shilling and denarius meant penny which were latin terms hence LSD. Moving to a decimal system meant a much simpler arithmetic going from three column calculations to a two column that you would be familiar with in the US I'm sure.

Reactions: Paulm
Not the mind altering drug but the currency I grew up with in the UK before being decimalised in 1971. It went like this;

Libra meant pound, solidus meant shilling and denarius meant penny which were latin terms hence LSD. Moving to a decimal system meant a much simpler arithmetic going from three column calculations to a two column that you would be familiar with in the US I'm sure.
so,...does 240 pence, or any combination to make a pound weigh 16 ounces.....and if not, then just ...... WHY.......LMAO

Reactions: TonyM and Debi

You're doing math....bring me a calculator! :eek:

Reactions: TonyM
so,...does 240 pence, or any combination to make a pound weigh 16 ounces.....and if not, then just ...... WHY.......LMAO

Nothing to do with weight apparently, you could divide a pound into:
  • Half - 120 pence
  • One third - 80 pence
  • One quarter - 60 pence
  • One fifth - 48 pence
  • One sixth 40 pence
In the days before computers and calculators, this was useful for trading. Growing up with it just made sense.

Reactions: Paulm