LOVE STORIES

I often wonder what true love is, your first love may be just lust when you are young. The love for your kids may be a selfish feeling so your genes carry on. Your love for your mum or parent may be a survival technique, same reason for your love of a long term partner. There seems to be a selfish reason behind all these relationships we label "love". Or am I just being paranoid?
You have a point, up to a point! Yes, survival may play a role in it all, but there is something undefinable about love,or even compassion. Think about stories where a perfect stranger sees a another person about to be struck by a moving car and leaps to their defense. There were certainly no rewards for nearly getting injured themselves, but love for fellow man motivated that action. So, there are many kinds of love, some unfathomable. Not all can be easily explained.

I once was in very close to a women and she to me but it wasn't good for her to be with me so I broke it off for her sake, maybe sacrifice is true love.
Indeed so if that is really the case. You have such a good spirit Oz. I find it hard to believe that you wouldn’t be good for someone.

Indeed so if that is really the case. You have such a good spirit Oz. I find it hard to believe that you wouldn’t be good for someone.
Thank you Lynne, I think I'd be alright for her now, lol, but I feel I'm a different person, that was many years ago. Actually I may be too good (joking) lol.

I met the best girlfriend I ever had just before midnight on New Year's Eve 1998. I was standing near the door of a rock bar as she walked in. Our eyes met and met and as midnight fell I took her in my arms and we kissed. She moved in soon afterwards and we stayed together for nearly five years.*
Anyone who ever tells you you that love at first sight is a myth is just wrong. :)

*Though it nearly went wrong that night, but that story is revolting, so I won't tell if you don't ask.

I guess that I am old-fashioned. I met and fell in love with my wife in a hurry. It couldn't have been purely lust-based, she was 15 and couldn't date so we talked on the phone a lot and I would go out to her house on the weekends. It must have been the real thing. We have been married for over 45 years now and dated for three years before we married. We LIKED each other and still enjoy each other's company. If all I cared about was lust there were plenty of other opportunities for that but they just didn't offer me what she did. Marry your best friend and the rest will happen because you both CARE for each other.

My wife and I met when she was 16, and I was 20. This was about late '79, the age difference wasn't such a big deal back in those days. I instantly fell in love and we dated for the next two years. I begged her to marry me all during that time, her parents loved me and encouraged her to say yes, but she was young and having fun. After two years, her family moved out of the area, to Washington state. Twice I made the long drive up there to try and convince her to come back with me and start a family, she still wasn't ready. The distance proved too much and we lost touch eventually.
Fast-forward some 30 years. I had ended up marrying someone else, we raised a beautiful daughter together but the marriage wasn't working after 23 years and we had a "friendly" divorce. My ex wife and I are still good friends. But a year after the divorce, the current Mrs. GWU found me on the internet and we re-connected after over 3 decades. I discovered that I still loved her deeply and she was willing to give it a shot, finally. So we married at the County Clerk's office early one Friday morning, with my adult daughter as a witness. I got a second chance at the One That Got Away.
We've been married now for 9 years and she grudgingly admits that maybe it wouldn't have been so bad if she had married me all those years ago, lol. We each only had one daughter by our prior marriages and they get along as step-sisters, are close to the same age though her daughter lives in Florida currently.