Look what they found in N. Arizona!

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Thousands of Ancient Petroglyphs and Ancient Solar Calendar found in N. Arizona | Ancient Code

112.png

Researchers have documented thousands of Ancient Petroglyphs and a ‘sophisticated’ Ancient Solar Calendar in N. Arizona, indicating human presence going back as far as 4,000 years.

A sensational discovery has been made in the remote mesas of northern Arizona where researchers have discovered thousands of previously undocumented petroglyphs and a prehistoric solar calendar which has been marking the seasons for hundreds of years.

The sensational discovery was made in the backcountry of Wupatki National Monument northeast of Flagstaff, an area where researchers have discovered many ruins of sites erected by the Ancient Kayenta and the Sinagua.

In 2014, researchers from the Museum of Northern Arizona [MNA] and the National Park Service started exploring the isolated monument hoping to document the full extent of the petroglyphs and other interesting features researchers had not had the opportunity to study.

“As a result of the current project, the NPS now has a complete library of photographic images of every panel, every element, and every feature [in the study area]”, said MNA’s David Purcell, who supervised the study.

“And we were able to expand the scope of the project … and conduct some pilot analysis of how the rock art is oriented to the horizons, and conduct detailed additional documentation of the solar calendars.”
For two years, researchers visited the site studying the phenomenon of the solar calendar and documenting the countless petroglyphs found in areas of Horseshoe Mesa, Middle Mesa, and an unnamed landform that they dubbed Little Mesa, documenting 122 panels of petroglyphs at Horseshoe Mesa –50 of which were previously uknown—and 107 panels at Middle Mesa, 88 of which were new to scientists. (source)

More at site

How exciting. TBob needs to weigh in on this. It would be interesting to see how the weather patterns have changed since they appear to have kept a calendar

Reactions: Debi
The discovery of something that may not have been seen in hundreds or thousands of years, perhaps since it was created, must be a thrill. When I hike on new trails in the Shenandoah National Park near me, I have a similar excitement of new discoveries. Of course, I am not the first to see what I see, but its new to me.

Reactions: Debi