Logan's Run thinking...

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
When I was young, my father was a huge fan of the movie Logan's Run. He would always tell me, "Deb, this may come true in your lifetime. I feel it coming." Now, my father was a very talented psychic man who was very quiet about it, so when he said stuff like this, I listened.

For those of you who don't recall, Logan's run was about not having to "deal with" the elderly. When someone hit the age of 30, their designated lifetime was "over". They all had bracelets that were countdown mechanisms that started flashing yellow as they got near 30. You were then expected to show up for your public execution. Star Trek featured this thought a few times in the series as well.

Well, a new film just had a showing at Cannes film festival.

The subject is being reintroduced. Anybody scared out there?

BTW, I am NOT volunteering.

Last edited:
That is a chilling concept! But there are societies that do away with their aging family members; like exposing them to the elements, for example. And it is expected and even looked forward to by the elderly.

That is a chilling concept! But there are societies that do away with their aging family members; like exposing them to the elements, for example. And it is expected and even looked forward to by the elderly.
I haven’t heard of these societies , where do they do this? It goes against nature.

Reactions: garnetsilver
I certainly hope society doesn’t become so cold as to loose their love of family.

I haven’t heard of these societies , where do they do this? It goes against nature.
I read that historically some cultures like the Eskimos used to do this; whether they still do, I don't know. They used to put the elderly relative out on the ice and let them perish. It was to make sure that there were enough resources for the younger people. I can't say I find this fair; they are missing out on all the wisdom that the elders can share!http://www.theinitialjourney.com/features/eskimos-old-age/

I don't think that they still do this, however. That article was just to illustrate their old ways.

I read that historically some cultures like the Eskimos used to do this; whether they still do, I don't know. They used to put the elderly relative out on the ice and let them perish. It was to make sure that there were enough resources for the younger people. I can't say I find this fair; they are missing out on all the wisdom that the elders can share!Eskimos - Old Age - Revelations - The Initial Journey
Desperate people do desperate things. It makes me greatful to have the essentials in life.

I could never have treated my parents that way; the article warns against putting Western thought into this practice, but I just could not have done that. It is hard enough sending pets to the rainbow bridge!

Reactions: Lynne
I could never have treated my parents that way; the article warns against putting Western thought into this practice, but I just could not have done that. It is hard enough sending pets to the rainbow bridge!
It’s not natural. I think unless there was an extreme disaster that left no alternatives people would not do this.