Lights switching on and off

Julzchar22

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I've just joined. I've been searching for a while somewhere to just get an insight really.
OK so im 36 I've lived in my home for 5 years .
I have 2 bedside tables either side if my bed both with touch lamps either side and I've had those for 5 years.
I didn't write down dates but the touch lamp on the opposite side to where I sleep suddenly started turning on at night. I would just lean over thinking it was dust, this happened a few times. Then stopped for a few weeks. Then about 3 months ago every night it would turn on, I would turn it off then wake up in the night and it would be on again. I wound switch it off then it would turn on. It got to the point I had to unplug it. I changed the bulb. And cleaned it all. And then every night I would get into bed it would turn on and it has 3 brightness settings. Sometimes it would be on level 1 then go up then turn off then on again. One night I said to it turn off if you are sending a warning and it turned brighter. Then I asked more questions and nothing. I videoed this time to show my mum. And then all of a suden it's just stopped completely.
Just looking back to 8 weeks ago I'm thinking could it of been something ??

Last edited:
Hi, and welcome to the forum.
Sounds very familiar to me. I had a stereo that was working just fine - until I put it on an antique collectors chest that I bought at auction.
Then it was possessed by the spirit that was with the chest. Still is (see my post). I had to get rid of the stereo, and thought that the spirit had passed over.
Touch lights are very easy to manipulate to a spirit. I would change your light fittings to a type with a positive on and off switch for your own sanity.

Reactions: Lynne
Hi, and welcome to the forum.
Sounds very familiar to me. I had a stereo that was working just fine - until I put it on an antique collectors chest that I bought at auction.
Then it was possessed by the spirit that was with the chest. Still is (see my post). I had to get rid of the stereo, and thought that the spirit had passed over.
Touch lights are very easy to manipulate to a spirit. I would change your light fittings to a type with a positive on and off switch for your own sanity.
Hi there thank you for your reply.
Although it was very strange the light going on and off I didn't feel scared as if I was in any danger if that makes sense.
Your situation sounds very scary hope all is ok now .

"Ok" is relative. I live with them and mostly that is acceptable. They get downstairs after midnight.- Which reminds me - BRB...

I have just read your other post
I have never experienced anything like that at all.
Hope they don't keep you up too much after midnight.

Back again. It's mostly quiet, just sometimes things happen.
I think I am sort of used to it by now. Spirits can affect electrical items. I've had one enter a room so I asked it to make itself known - and all the lights went out, which was kind of corny but it did happen right on cue, followed by everything else I was using including a water heater when I turned the tap on.
I just accept it now when it happens.

My light hasn't turned on in about 8/9 weeks now I'm thinking whoever it was has gone now.
Just very strange every night for weeks and weeks it used to turn on all night long
I guess I'll never get to the bottom of it

That one was a bit weird because I couldn't see it, but could feel it. Poltergeists can be like that.
Also had an instant fog indoors with the collectors chest. One minute nothing, next a fog that made the air feel thick and heavy, gone in the next few minutes.

If you didn't feel frightened by it - that is often the best indicator. No harm meant. Just communication maybe. Also it can take a while for a spirit to learn how to do things, so there may be a learning curve of activity. There was with my radio anyway. Turning on or off on request is an indicator.

Reactions: WitchAndShaman
Hi Julz, welcome to the forum. I would get a new lamp if possible. It may be a spirit or it could be a wire issue with the lamp. You don’t want to risk a fire. I’d unplug it when leaving the house just incase. Also there may be a problem with the wiring in the plug. You may want to get it checked.