Light at the End of the Tunnel of Covid

I don't wear the mask unless I am forced. I didn't have it and now I have been vaccinated for several months so shouldn't need a mask period. I have a hard time sucking air through those things. Maybe I have a little bit of claustrophobia but I love tight places though??? My wife wore them daily for years and they don't have any effect on her.

Fortunately, most people here don't wear them so I don't catch any flack for not liking them. I guess that if I lived in a big city where I was always tightly surrounded by people it would be different.

Reactions: garnetsilver
I've mostly dropped my mask, but I still distance myself from people. And the cases are down in our state and I haven't heard of many (if any) new cases in sometime. Stores are far more well stocked but not perfect and there's less of shopping spree. Some of the items such as hand sanitizer and toilet paper - the likes of which we thought most of us would never see again are available in what seems like a major abundance.

And some people are less tense. Calm. Relaxed. We're getting there day by day.

This has seemed to be a variable sort of thing from one place to another. Honestly, it has never amounted to much here after the first couple of months. People waited for it to get BAD and when it didn't most people just moved on. When I do wear a mask it is totally to make other people feel better even though I never have had any faith in masks the way most people use them.

LOL, it is possibly worse than useless to wear a mask over your mouth but leave your nose out. THAT is so common you would think that it was the proper way to wear them. I usually carry one in my pocket rather than argue with idiots but so far nobody has ever commented on my lack of a mask. In my case, because I am on dialysis, I got the vaccine as soon as it came out. They were pretty insistent about it. The thing is that I STILL don't know anyone that has had it. Between a big university and a dozen major prisons bringing people in from all over the place, you would think that we would be a hotbed for it.

I suspect that since our major employer is the state that we have a higher rate of vaccination than most places. The prisons are doing really well. They have full control and as soon as someone comes down with it they isolate that entire cell block for a couple of weeks and move the infected out.

Reactions: garnetsilver
As the Delta variant tears through Britain, but people aren't dying much it's important that people are having a nuanced response which takes into account all aspects of the situation:
Not being dead is good. Not being horribly ill on a semi regular basis is better!
But, hey! People with double shots aren't as badly hit by a long way. It does prove the vaccines work!

Last edited:
England's last restrictions, which were planned to be lifted on 21st June and return the UK to 'normal', has been postponed for 4 weeks (until the 19th July) due to the rising cases caused by the latest Delta (Indian) strain. Scotland is also delaying the lifting of restrictions due to a rise in cases.

The government has said something “unprecedented and remarkable” would need to happen for England’s July 19 “terminus date” for lifting Covid restrictions to be pushed back even further.

Reactions: Benway
Had an interesting experience in the supermarket. I had accompanied Mr. Garnet for some last minute shopping, and when we got there, I pulled out my mask. Then I looked around. Hardly anyone was wearing masks. Then I saw the sign on the door; masks are not required, except by store personnel. I felt an anxiety attack coming on. Mr. Garnet wasn't wearing his. Our stats in the state of PA, on new infections, are way down. So I shopped without a mask. I may go back to it again, but it was like...I felt like I was doing something wrong not to have the mask on. It's been so long that I went anywhere without a mask.

According to experts, we are very close to herd immunity. I pray and hope so!