Light at the End of the Tunnel of Covid

As I said earlier, it's all about your comfort level right now. What do you feel most comfortable doing?
Whatever it is, do that. For those of us with compromised systems, despite being vaxed, I will be continuing to wear one when going into a building or if I'm around a lot of people.
I don’t want to make others feel uncomfortable , they don’t know if we’ve had the shot. Also I don’t need to catch anything else right now

Further explanation on the masks....

For the most part, studies emerging now suggest immunocompromised people or those on medications that interrupt their immune system -- for example, people who have had organ transplants or are on chemotherapy -- may not have as much protection from Covid-19 vaccines. At least one study suggests dialysis patients also may not be as protected, she said.

Please use this thread for further support or info on Covid. Thanks!

I remember how deserted the roads were last March. For a few months, I had my commute mostly to myself. But with fewer cars on the road, speeds started picking up. Now traffic is back to pre-pandemic levels here but speeds haven't come back down, and the state troopers have been very busy as a result.
Last spring I came out of a long quarantine near the start of the first lockdown and well remember being alone on empty streets. When I got sick everything was as it always had been and when I came out... the world had stopped and everyone was gone. I walked for miles. As a kid we used to talk about what we'd do if everyone just vanished and as a teenager we read a novel called Empty World at school (a new virus kills most people) and I read The Stand and then Day of the Triffids (which begins with a man falling ill and when he recovers finding that everybody has gone), and then there was 24 Days Later, which starts the same way. It felt like all of those. The city I'd always lived in empty. Empty streets with no sign of life, total silence for miles. I'd lived it in my imagination when I was younger but never expected to truly live it. It felt as though I'd fallen out of real life and into a story. It reminded me of The Magician's Nephew where they find the dead world. I'm tearing up typing this, but at the time I was shell shocked and there was something exhilarating to it, as though all those old imaginings really happened and it was my world now. Just me alone. I just walked. The major roads were the weirdest and most thrilling. All my life I had the constant background noise of traffic and just like that it was gone. Replaced by the wind and birdsong. The quietness was so loud! I walked along the centre of a major road and I remember standing on a flyover bridge staring for a long time at the empty road just stretching away. There was a distant sound and then a minute later a car, alone on the miles of empty road, pedal to the metal just driving on all the miles of nothing. A fellow lost traveller. That time was a haunting experience which I will never forget.

Last edited:
The CDC issued new guidelines on masks yesterday. If you are fully vaxed, you no longer need to wear a mask indoors or outdoors except where it is specifically stated, ie planes, hospitals, etc. HOWEVER, as one doc told me yesterday, you do what makes you feel most comfortable right now mentally. Bill Maher was fully vaxed and still got Covid. The vaccines are not 100%...no vax is.

This is one of those situations of moving towards that light that may take you some time to trust. That's OK. If you are a compromised patient, you do what makes you feel secure right now. :)
Over here we've never had an outdoor mask mandate (though many did) but indoor public places are still masks only. In this part of the country the infection rate is really really low and still falling and I've been twice infected and had my first shot, but today I wore my mask out for a bit just because I kinda like the way it looks. I'd honestly wear one anyway on occasion, but before the pandemic it'd get me mistaken for a crook or terrorist and I think that when restrictions end it's just going to be considered bad taste. So I'm making the most of being able to wear a mask out if I like while it lasts!

If life hands you lemons, make lemonade.
If life hands you masks, enjoy the masquerade!

Last edited: