Light at the End of the Tunnel of Covid

You just keep my snacks coming...lol ;bg3 I think Little Debbie snacks have helped us get through the lockdowns!
At least they've improved with the cuts but they were getting hit hard for awhile themselves. I don't think I can say how many workers we had out at the bakery, but it was high.

• Sad
Reactions: Debi
I think that I have been pretty fortunate in where I live. Honestly, Covid has made almost no impact on my life. I don't know anyone that caught it and I suspect that this area has one of the highest vaccination rates in the state. Most people here work for the state in one way or another. The rest of us provide services to them and the University Students.

The vaccine is freely available. I'm sorry but I have a hard time understanding why someone would prefer to die than get a free vaccination. I can't work up a lot of sympathy for them if they get it. My wife and I got it as soon as it was available. We were part of the first wave because of my health problems.

Seriously is there anyone here that can explain it to me? I wonder if they refuse all the other various vaccines that are available? In Texas, if they refused to allow their kids to be vaccinated for many of the old killers like Small Pox they are not allowed to go to public school and the parents are strongly required to see that their kids get an equal level education.

That doesn't always work out very well sadly. A lot of them are lucky if they can work a calculator and read and write enough to fill out a job application. I know a lot of places that go through the job applications and throw over half away. On a lot of them, the only thing that is spelled right and written legibly is their name on the top of the paper... So sad...

I say that and my spelling is awful but they make me look like a spelling maven!

Infection rates here are at pre-vaccine levels again, 98%+ of new infections are unvaccinated. The very few breakthrough cases are not requiring hospitalization. Many of those individuals don't even display symptoms. Another strong argument in favor of the vaccine, even if it's not 100% effective at prevention. It will still keep you alive.

It's almost exclusively the Delta variant. The biggest danger is ICU's filling up. If we had a major non-COVID disaster right now, many would not be able to receive urgent care quickly because of COVID patients. Medical staff have been under constant duress for a year and a half now and some have quit the field, not seeing any end in sight.

I've been fully vaxed since early April and would gladly take a booster as soon as it's offered. I haven't come this far to catch this crap now. I continue to wear my mask in closed indoor spaces with too many people to stay six feet apart.

We have a long way to go. I predicted that this would run at least two to three years, sadly I may turn out to have been correct.

The guidelines are supposed to change as the virus changes. This is the way a pandemic works, folks.
Yup, only a complete moron doesn't change his mind when the situation changes. A flip-flop, like the footwear may attract mockery in some circumstances but if it works wear it, unless you have something better.

I got my second jab (AZ) six days ago! I haven't been here much, as I've been groggy on top of my usual health problems. It held true to the general rule that the second AZ jab has less severe side effects that the first though, much to my relief! They let me stay around at the health centre for a while as they were closing up, in case I took a bad turn again, but while I did get side effects almost at once again, I was a lot better and just sat around chatting to nurses for a time and then got a taxi home. (The cabbie wasn't masked - thanks gov!- but I had two on and the window open with air blasting in as we went, so it was fine.)
The heart racing thing seems to be a reaction between the vaccine and my own condition, as I (following advice from a nurse) held off eating for as long as I could after and was fine. It was when I ate (which is when I usually get lethargic) that my heart started racing again. It only went to 120 this time though and stopped faster, so I just lay back and enjoyed the rush and a weird feeling of euthoria (which I also had last time). Perhaps I'm lucky that the vaccine affects me like a recreational drug!
Sadly after the first day it's just one long hangover for a week. So not a good recreational drug, but then it does protect me and others from the current mess, which is another reason to feel good.

The UK's vaccination rate has dropped alarmingly, however my trip to get jab II provided a partial reason for that. Vaccination sites use one of the available vaccines at a time. Recently, they've been doing second shots for those of us over forty who had the AZ shot. But, it was decided that people under forty should be given a different vaccine if possible, which means no first doses while us middle aged types are being done. The place was very not busy. The under forties find it harder to get appointments anyway due to their jobs and are often fighting for Saturday vaccinations.
This strikes me as stupid, given the very low risk and available treatment for blood clots now that they are watchful, and has held up the vaccination program. According to polls, most of them want to be vaccinated, so hopefully, the rate will pick up again now that we are done, though it's still going to be sluggish.

I got my second jab (AZ) six days ago! I haven't been here much, as I've been groggy on top of my usual health problems. It held true to the general rule that the second AZ jab has less severe side effects that the first though, much to my relief! They let me stay around at the health centre for a while as they were closing up, in case I took a bad turn again, but while I did get side effects almost at once again, I was a lot better and just sat around chatting to nurses for a time and then got a taxi home. (The cabbie wasn't masked - thanks gov!- but I had two on and the window open with air blasting in as we went, so it was fine.)
The heart racing thing seems to be a reaction between the vaccine and my own condition, as I (following advice from a nurse) held off eating for as long as I could after and was fine. It was when I ate (which is when I usually get lethargic) that my heart started racing again. It only went to 120 this time though and stopped faster, so I just lay back and enjoyed the rush and a weird feeling of euthoria (which I also had last time). Perhaps I'm lucky that the vaccine affects me like a recreational drug!
Sadly after the first day it's just one long hangover for a week. So not a good recreational drug, but then it does protect me and others from the current mess, which is another reason to feel good.

The UK's vaccination rate has dropped alarmingly, however my trip to get jab II provided a partial reason for that. Vaccination sites use one of the available vaccines at a time. Recently, they've been doing second shots for those of us over forty who had the AZ shot. But, it was decided that people under forty should be given a different vaccine if possible, which means no first doses while us middle aged types are being done. The place was very not busy. The under forties find it harder to get appointments anyway due to their jobs and are often fighting for Saturday vaccinations.
This strikes me as stupid, given the very low risk and available treatment for blood clots now that they are watchful, and has held up the vaccination program. According to polls, most of them want to be vaccinated, so hopefully, the rate will pick up again now that we are done, though it's still going to be sluggish.
Glad you got it and glad you are doing OK with it, Ben!

Reactions: Benway
England's 'Freedom Day' when all restrictions were dropped got a whopping 10% approval rating and a 60-70% disapproval, resulting in some 'of course, because you can do something doesn't mean you should' speech and round here at least few have taken any notice. Thank goodness! I saw a lot of confused and angry anti-maskers on social media raging about all the people wearing 'face nappies' and ranting about freedom and more people being sane. It has hurt us, but not as badly as I'd feared.

England's 'Freedom Day' when all restrictions were dropped got a whopping 10% approval rating and a 60-70% disapproval, resulting in some 'of course, because you can do something doesn't mean you should' speech and round here at least few have taken any notice. Thank goodness! I saw a lot of confused and angry anti-maskers on social media raging about all the people wearing 'face nappies' and ranting about freedom and more people being sane. It has hurt us, but not as badly as I'd feared.
It's good news really, as it's a victory for common sense. Freedom includes the freedom to ignore encouragement to do something stupid! I can only imagine how bad things would be if most people had agreed with this.