Life/Stress/Covid Support thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
cat-and-then-one-morning-humans-woke-up-and-never-left-our-houses-again.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Benway and ozentity

Mask up, folks. Please!
Remember that it depends on the mask and how it's worn. Masks with plastic filters are useless and a good mask should have an adjustable nose strip to prevent unfiltered air from getting in and out. After all, air isn't going to go and force itself through three layers of fabric if it can just go through open holes either side of your nose. Any mask is better than none for protecting others, but better is better!

Good to know about reusable masks. The enviromental damage from billions of disposable masks being dumped every week worldwide is pretty ugly, so it's a relief to know that we can be safer and responsible to others without causing other damage.

A powerful piece of advice for those feeling overwhelmed right now:

RUN THE DISHWASHER TWICE.
"When I was at one of my lowest (mental) points in life, I couldn’t get out of bed some days. I had no energy or motivation and was barely getting by.
I had therapy once per week, and on this particular week I didn’t have much to ‘bring’ to the session. He asked how my week was and I really had nothing to say.
“What are you struggling with?” he asked.
I gestured around me and said “I dunno man. Life.”
Not satisfied with my answer, he said “No, what exactly are you worried about right now? What feels overwhelming? When you go home after this session, what issue will be staring at you?”
I knew the answer, but it was so ridiculous that I didn’t want to say it.
I wanted to have something more substantial.
Something more profound.
But I didn’t.
So I told him, "Honestly? The dishes. It's stupid, I know, but the more I look at them the more I CAN’T do them because I’ll have to scrub them before I put them in the dishwasher, because the dishwasher sucks, and I just can’t stand and scrub the dishes.”
I felt like an idiot even saying it.
What kind of grown-ass woman is undone by a stack of dishes? There are people out there with *actual* problems, and I’m whining to my therapist about dishes?
But, my therapist nodded in understanding and then said:
“RUN THE DISHWASHER TWICE.”
I began to tell him that you’re not supposed to, but he stopped me.
“Why the hell aren’t you supposed to? If you don’t want to scrub the dishes and your dishwasher sucks, run it twice. Run it three times, who cares?! Rules do not exist, so stop giving yourself rules.”
It blew my mind in a way that I don’t think I can properly express.
That day, I went home and tossed my smelly dishes haphazardly into the dishwasher and ran it three times.
I felt like I had conquered a dragon.
The next day, I took a shower lying down.
A few days later, I folded my laundry and put it wherever the heck they fit.
There were no longer arbitrary rules I had to follow, and it gave me the freedom to make accomplishments again.
Now that I’m in a healthier place, I rinse off my dishes and put them in the dishwasher properly. I shower standing up. I sort my laundry.
But, at a time when living was a struggle instead of a blessing, I learned an incredibly important lesson:
THERE ARE NO RULES.
RUN THE DISHWASHER TWICE!!!"
Author unknown
#pandemic2020 #depressionawareness

A powerful piece of advice for those feeling overwhelmed right now:

RUN THE DISHWASHER TWICE.
"When I was at one of my lowest (mental) points in life, I couldn’t get out of bed some days. I had no energy or motivation and was barely getting by.
I had therapy once per week, and on this particular week I didn’t have much to ‘bring’ to the session. He asked how my week was and I really had nothing to say.
“What are you struggling with?” he asked.
I gestured around me and said “I dunno man. Life.”
Not satisfied with my answer, he said “No, what exactly are you worried about right now? What feels overwhelming? When you go home after this session, what issue will be staring at you?”
I knew the answer, but it was so ridiculous that I didn’t want to say it.
I wanted to have something more substantial.
Something more profound.
But I didn’t.
So I told him, "Honestly? The dishes. It's stupid, I know, but the more I look at them the more I CAN’T do them because I’ll have to scrub them before I put them in the dishwasher, because the dishwasher sucks, and I just can’t stand and scrub the dishes.”
I felt like an idiot even saying it.
What kind of grown-ass woman is undone by a stack of dishes? There are people out there with *actual* problems, and I’m whining to my therapist about dishes?
But, my therapist nodded in understanding and then said:
“RUN THE DISHWASHER TWICE.”
I began to tell him that you’re not supposed to, but he stopped me.
“Why the hell aren’t you supposed to? If you don’t want to scrub the dishes and your dishwasher sucks, run it twice. Run it three times, who cares?! Rules do not exist, so stop giving yourself rules.”
It blew my mind in a way that I don’t think I can properly express.
That day, I went home and tossed my smelly dishes haphazardly into the dishwasher and ran it three times.
I felt like I had conquered a dragon.
The next day, I took a shower lying down.
A few days later, I folded my laundry and put it wherever the heck they fit.
There were no longer arbitrary rules I had to follow, and it gave me the freedom to make accomplishments again.
Now that I’m in a healthier place, I rinse off my dishes and put them in the dishwasher properly. I shower standing up. I sort my laundry.
But, at a time when living was a struggle instead of a blessing, I learned an incredibly important lesson:
THERE ARE NO RULES.
RUN THE DISHWASHER TWICE!!!"
Author unknown
#pandemic2020 #depressionawareness
I have no dishwasher. I knew it. I'm DOOMED!!!!

It has been difficult lately, to rise above pandemic thoughts. It's just that so many things have changed, so drastically from the way that they were this time last year. Tomorrow is the anniversary of my cat's passing, for one. Trying to keep my chin up and not fall into despair.

It has been difficult lately, to rise above pandemic thoughts. It's just that so many things have changed, so drastically from the way that they were this time last year. Tomorrow is the anniversary of my cat's passing, for one. Trying to keep my chin up and not fall into despair.
Let me just say this, Garnet. I get what you're saying. Sometimes it can just be overwhelming. Things are so changed, the rules are all different for living, and right now it seems to be worse than ever with the huge increase in cases and the hospitals getting overwhelmed. I have friends still working in the hospitals and they are just this side of terrified themselves at times. Add in the holiday blues some get, things like anniversaries of passings, and yes, it's easy to let yourself get swept away in the negative thoughts.

I remind myself daily that yes, this will come to an end. Getting there is gonna be a bit like walking through a mine field at times, but we will get to the other side.

And that is why we are here for each other right now. To hold each other up when that wave tries to take us over the edge. Each of us is an anchor for someone else, to hold us in place to not get swept away. Keep your faith in place, Garnet. We're all holding onto each other here. Big hugs your way tonight.

So glad that you all are here. For the past three days I have been out of sorts and unsure. Just canceled my Reddit account because of negativity. So much spiritual work ahead, and I can't make time for nonsense (unless it is here, lol. )

Status
Not open for further replies.