Life/Stress/Covid Support thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone. I'm still fuzzy headed (I feel like that for a few hours after eating, so that plus this is like double flu brain), so just a few words. After sleeping through most of the last 48 hours with a fever, I'm at least awake today and the cough has gone. At this point I'm hoping it's flu. What kind of a screwed up year is it when I actually want to have flu?! The local infection rate has jumped again from 40/100,000 to 70 in a week, but given the time of year there may be more flu around. I'm awaiting a test kit which should arrive tomorrow. A stick and instructions on where to shove it! Fun awaits.

Edit: I just checked my E-mail. The kit will arrive... Friday! Then I have to send it back. (How? Night trip to the post box?) then 2-4 days (it will not be 2!) before they e-mail with the results. So, if all goes well that's 8 days from when I called it in. Could be better, but at least I actually get a test this time!
See, this is where we have a real problem. 8 days for test results? Meanwhile, if you lived in a home with others you could be spreading it all over or missing early intervention treatment.

Ben, watch the symptoms closely. You have any breathing problems, get to hospital. There have been reports of people having a worse time of it the second time around.

Already this year I've learned basic plumbing skills due to the lack of plumbers and I shall now perform a throat and nose swab on myself in my bathroom. 2020 just keeps on giving... Who knows what skill I will learn next?

Already this year I've learned basic plumbing skills due to the lack of plumbers and I shall now perform a throat and nose swab on myself in my bathroom. 2020 just keeps on giving... Who knows what skill I will learn next?
You are brave. How are you feeling?

Reactions: Benway
I'm done! Still a little feverish and quite impressed with myself for that. It feels really weird. I'm bagging it up.
I hear you. Ben, watch this round closely. You have any trouble breathing, get to hospital fast. I seem to be saying that a lot lately to people. Prayers are with you, hon.

I had to look for a diagram first. The instructions and videos said to swab the tonsils. Oh no! I have no tonsils! 'No problemo' says the instructions, 'Just swab where they used to be.'
Oh, sure. I'll just swab the bit where something I haven't had since I was nine was. I totally remember, what with all the studying of my throat that I did back then.
So some research was required and another video.

I had to look for a diagram first. The instructions and videos said to swab the tonsils. Oh no! I have no tonsils! 'No problemo' says the instructions, 'Just swab where they used to be.'
Oh, sure. I'll just swab the bit where something I haven't had since I was nine was. I totally remember, what with all the studying of my throat that I did back then.
So some research was required and another video.
Somehow, you have managed to make me laugh despite this rather serious subject matter! ;)

I just had an argument with a person. The job title is 'delivery person', but that would imply actually delivering my groceries and not flat out refusing to enter my housing complex in case she got infected, insisting I break quarantine and walk down a communal corridor, across a room, down two flights of communal stairs, across another room, through the lobby and across the front courtyard to the car park and back twice instead, spreading virus all over the place on a weekend afternoon, and then driving off with my shopping when I refused. She wouldn't even get somebody else to do it. So person.
Actually I can think of many better descriptions. No quarantine supplies for me. I had to call a helpline and then talk to the manager of the store who didn't apologize and then finally arrange for an actual delivery to take place 24 hours late with no compensation. Also a third of it is out of stock substitutions. And no bags as I missed the point where you have to ask for them and they won't let me add them.
Any other Brits reading this: Do not use Sainsbury's on-line ordering unless you want to be left high and dry and insulted.
It's important while fighting a viral infection to be comfortable and stress free, yet I'm out of bread, milk and nearly out of TP, was actually sweating with stress afterwards and I'm still angry and upset. Add that to the threatening letter through my door and bullying smirking voicemail from a building contractor I've received since falling ill, because I refuse to let an electrician into my home to spend hours on basic inspection and maintenance during a $%^£ing pandemic!!!!! 99% certain that I was infected while arguing face to face with a representative of the Housing Association (landlords) about that. She was in my living room for an hour (rather than our usual 20minute chat) and only wears a mask if the resident asks despite visiting people all day. That's company policy.
We've all had since March to perfect living with Covid, so why is it that England can't manage to distance, deliver food/supplies or test people properly?

I just had an argument with a person. The job title is 'delivery person', but that would imply actually delivering my groceries and not flat out refusing to enter my housing complex in case she got infected, insisting I break quarantine and walk down a communal corridor, across a room, down two flights of communal stairs, across another room, through the lobby and across the front courtyard to the car park and back twice instead, spreading virus all over the place on a weekend afternoon, and then driving off with my shopping when I refused. She wouldn't even get somebody else to do it. So person.
Actually I can think of many better descriptions. No quarantine supplies for me. I had to call a helpline and then talk to the manager of the store who didn't apologize and then finally arrange for an actual delivery to take place 24 hours late with no compensation. Also a third of it is out of stock substitutions. And no bags as I missed the point where you have to ask for them and they won't let me add them.
Any other Brits reading this: Do not use Sainsbury's on-line ordering unless you want to be left high and dry and insulted.
It's important while fighting a viral infection to be comfortable and stress free, yet I'm out of bread, milk and nearly out of TP, was actually sweating with stress afterwards and I'm still angry and upset. Add that to the threatening letter through my door and bullying smirking voicemail from a building contractor I've received since falling ill, because I refuse to let an electrician into my home to spend hours on basic inspection and maintenance during a $%^£ing pandemic!!!!! 99% certain that I was infected while arguing face to face with a representative of the Housing Association (landlords) about that. She was in my living room for an hour (rather than our usual 20minute chat) and only wears a mask if the resident asks despite visiting people all day. That's company policy.
We've all had since March to perfect living with Covid, so why is it that England can't manage to distance, deliver food/supplies or test people properly?
It's not just England, Benway. We have an epidemic of stupid happening. I get far too wound up talking about it and will end up in an epic rave if I do, so suffice it to say if we all got over the "MY/ME" thinking and got to the "WE as HUMANITY need to beat this thing" thinking, we could get somewhere. After wading through the cherry picked info, the influenced disinformation, etc., it's simple at it's core. Wear the damn mask, social distance, love one another and allow business to slowly open with these steps in place. But we all need to do it. And therein lies the rub. Too many simple steps for humanity to grasp obviously.

You are right, Debi! Planet Stupid has sent all its citizens to earth during the Pandemic. While I was at my eye appointment, the doctor only lowered the plastic shield on the diagnostic equipment AFTER he'd sneezed. He was wearing a mask, and assured me that he had allergies and nothing contagious, but how can he be sure? That same day, I had an evening appointment for another medical issue. I was the last patient leaving and as I walked down the hall, the receptionist was walking towards me, holding her mask. She hastily apologized and put it on, but I simply walked past her without comment. Saturday I had my dental check up and cleaning. While I was waiting, a woman came out to the waiting room, carrying her mask. She sat there a good ten minutes without putting it back on. You see?

• Wow
Reactions: Duke and Benway
Status
Not open for further replies.