Learning something new...

Speaking of writing, I just got an email from a publisher who was considering one of my short stories for inclusion in an anthology. The area where the publishers are, had a tornado, and have been hard hit by COVID, so he said that he can't promise anything until next year. Sigh.
Garnet! That's fantastic news even if you have to wait a bit!!!! Congrats! You have the interest of a publisher and not a rejection slip!

Reactions: garnetsilver
I have one that I am working on. It is about 92,000 words and I am in a second rewrite. It is a paranormal romance that I first wrote for a group of ladies on another board under a female pseudonym. They knew that I was male but men so seldom write romances that I wrote it as Daniele Moricims. That way I could still use the Danm emails and online name.

LOL, the board was a Viggo Mortensen fan board. I designed and set the board up for them for a lady friend and ended up the only male member as a tech and mostly in the background at first. Over time they got to know me as I solved their board problems and sometimes other online troubles for them. Eventually, I started posting on the Non-Viggo threads and it was actually fun. The Lady that I set the board up for had read some of my work and asked me if I would write them a story. I wrote it as a serial and posted about one 3000 word segment a week. later I rewrote it in a more book form and am still, as the mood strikes, cleaning it and modifying it.

Last edited:
I like to make things and have dozens of crafting hobbies. I have very little formal education but read constantly and have taught myself enough that I tutored my daughter in math for her first two years in college. She ended up with a minor in math and can teach it if she ever wanted too. Any time that I want to learn a new trick I buy books and teach it to myself.

If I have the time left I would like to maybe paper publish a book. I have written and online published a bunch of stories and novellas but would like to do something that could be held in your hand. If I have the time I would like to do a novel and a non-fiction about learning to deal with the ups and downs of life. I have been blessed to know several great phylosophers and would like to put the things they taught me together and share it with others that struggle.
You definitely have several books in you!! You were born to write ! Get going.

I never have trouble filling my time. I love to make things. I am either knitting, spinning yarn, painting or baking.

I'd like to learn Scottish Gaelic. I'm a Scottish Celt by blood, and I want to learn the language my people spoke. Unfortunately, unless you're rich, it's next to impossible to find a useful learning tool or teacher.

Reactions: Lynne and Paintman
I'd like to learn Scottish Gaelic. I'm a Scottish Celt by blood, and I want to learn the language my people spoke. Unfortunately, unless you're rich, it's next to impossible to find a useful learning tool or teacher.

The BBC has a free Gaelic course on line, I used it to learn enough to get around the NW part of Ireland where English road signs are (or were) scarce. I think there were individual courses for both Ireland and Scotland. I can probably find it for you if you're interested.

As long as it's Scottish Gaelic and not Irish Gaelic, then I would love any help I can get.

Can you get BBC Radio nan Gàidheal?

I've started a facebook group and contacted my local council to organise the building of new allotments in my village. For those not knowing what an allotment is they were started during WW2 for home owners to grow their own food on small plots of land. Over time most of these fell into disuse or were sold off for building. Consequently there are only 4 areas still in Aberdeen, and these areas of only 20 plots each are oversubscribed with a waiting list of over 100 people per area.
But interest is increasing, and the council have told me that if there is enough interest in this area they actually want to build more!
So now I have to prove there is an interest here - which is why I started the group. Now I have to find a method to get the information out.

Reactions: Lynne and Paintman