Lake Michigan Shipwreck uncovered

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

A powerful storm that battered the shore of Lake Michigan last week wound up uncovering something of a historical mystery in the form of a sizeable shipwreck that had been buried in the sand. According to a local media report, Kim McDaniel made the weird discovery last Thursday after she'd finished eating Thanksgiving dinner and went to check on her neighbor's summer home in the city of Muskegon, where a massive storm had swept over the area on Wednesday. Much to her amazement, sitting in the sand just off the shore of the property sat the remains of an 86-foot-long wooden ship.

McDaniel reported the odd find the following day and the Coast Guard sent a pair of divers out to the area to examine the vessel, which was determined to be from the 19th century. "They didn't have roads in Michigan then," she explained, "so they used these ships who delivered goods up and down the coasts to different cities." Local experts are now working on trying to identify the wreck and determine how it ended up buried in the sand off the coast of Muskegon.

While marine archaeologists work on solving that mystery, McDaniel expressed concern that the publicity surrounding the newfound shipwreck may draw curious visitors to the private property where it is located. "Please, please respect this relic. Please give the professionals a chance to measure her, to identify her," she asked the public, "right now she is unknown, she is uncharted." McDaniel specifically cautioned that the area around the vessel consists of eroding sand dunes that could be dangerous for unprepared explorers.

This would be fun to hear about in an update. The lakes and oceans wash up our past like time capsules.

Although it's not generally known, there are hundreds, maybe thousands, of aircraft in the Great Lakes, and Lake Michigan in particular. Not only was Great Lakes Naval Air Station a large training base in WWII, but the USN operated a couple "fresh water" aircraft carriers (actually converted paddle wheelers) on the Lakes throughout the war. There were lots of mishaps during training. The F4F Wildcat on display at Chicago's O'Hare was fished out of Lake Michigan.

Although it's not generally known, there are hundreds, maybe thousands, of aircraft in the Great Lakes, and Lake Michigan in particular. Not only was Great Lakes Naval Air Station a large training base in WWII, but the USN operated a couple "fresh water" aircraft carriers (actually converted paddle wheelers) on the Lakes throughout the war. There were lots of mishaps during training. The F4F Wildcat on display at Chicago's O'Hare was fished out of Lake Michigan.
Wow Duke! I didn’t know this.

Reactions: Debi
I would like to know the outcome as well after they find what is this shipwreck and from when ...
Wow indeed planes too ... i wouldn't imagine this either ...

It makes me feel weird and sad, even if curiosity takes over me; as these are remains of tragedy from the past and we don't know what has happened to then and to the passengers or crew ... Maybe praying for the obvious victims of the time it happened, would be a good habit, in any "archeological" or finding as above, as we try to uncover the mystery around it ...

Reactions: Lynne
I would like to know the outcome as well after they find what is this shipwreck and from when ...
Wow indeed planes too ... i wouldn't imagine this either ...

It makes me feel weird and sad, even if curiosity takes over me; as these are remains of tragedy from the past and we don't know what has happened to then and to the passengers or crew ... Maybe praying for the obvious victims of the time it happened, would be a good habit, in any "archeological" or finding as above, as we try to uncover the mystery around it ...
I feel your sentiment and I hope not all were lost at the times of the accidents. Hopefully some survived. Prayers and intentions I believe are timeless so I’m sure they are felt at the time needed.