Kraken Alert!

I think scientists are pretty fast and loose with the genetic experimenting stuff. I think it’s not a good idea.
I wish they'd play a bit looser to be honest. I read a fascinating article recently which pointed out that the human genome is just that... sort of. I always assumed that the human genome project was comparing DNA from many sources to find the ultimate key to our genetic structure... but no... apparently not. The thing about genetic scientists is that they are really really smart at the things they trained at, but in all other respects they are typical human beings and human beings cover a wide range from wise to taking horse tranquilizers and attempting to lick electricity out of the wall socket level dumb. So, anyway, the human genome is actually a human genome. Specifically it is the genome of this one American guy of African descent who answered a crappy looking ad in a magazine in the 90s and got paid for his genetic material. So it's a total map of him and nobody else, which I guess is fine as everybody is the same in every way, so it's okay to base important tests on new pharmicuticals on it. Denmark (I think) noticed that there was a flaw in this and there is. A huge flaw which is blindingly obvious really.

Okay. Think break.
Any ideas?

So the Danes set to work studying Danish men to find a Danish genome! Oh, of course!

No. No. NO!

It's a male genetic template!!!! That's the major problem! None of these dozy guys ever thought, 'Wait a minute! Women have loads of differences and different hormones, size, shape totally different organs in places, fat to muscle ratio and on and on and are clearly not the same as men!

We have the genetic structure of one guy and some bonus info from other guys and... Look, it's not the human genome. It's some dude's genome and they just forgot women existed, thereby vindicating every nerd cliche and screwing it all up.
Even geniuses can be total prats.

Reactions: WitchAndShaman
I wish they'd play a bit looser to be honest. I read a fascinating article recently which pointed out that the human genome is just that... sort of. I always assumed that the human genome project was comparing DNA from many sources to find the ultimate key to our genetic structure... but no... apparently not. The thing about genetic scientists is that they are really really smart at the things they trained at, but in all other respects they are typical human beings and human beings cover a wide range from wise to taking horse tranquilizers and attempting to lick electricity out of the wall socket level dumb. So, anyway, the human genome is actually a human genome. Specifically it is the genome of this one American guy of African descent who answered a crappy looking ad in a magazine in the 90s and got paid for his genetic material. So it's a total map of him and nobody else, which I guess is fine as everybody is the same in every way, so it's okay to base important tests on new pharmicuticals on it. Denmark (I think) noticed that there was a flaw in this and there is. A huge flaw which is blindingly obvious really.

Okay. Think break.
Any ideas?

So the Danes set to work studying Danish men to find a Danish genome! Oh, of course!

No. No. NO!

It's a male genetic template!!!! That's the major problem! None of these dozy guys ever thought, 'Wait a minute! Women have loads of differences and different hormones, size, shape totally different organs in places, fat to muscle ratio and on and on and are clearly not the same as men!

We have the genetic structure of one guy and some bonus info from other guys and... Look, it's not the human genome. It's some dude's genome and they just forgot women existed, thereby vindicating every nerd cliche and screwing it all up.
Even geniuses can be total prats.
You have imparted a lot of info on this. I had no idea about this.

Reactions: Benway
You have imparted a lot of info on this. I had no idea about this.
I wish I had the link the source article (which was ascience article and did seem to be well researched and included a scan of the ad) as this is just a jokier rewrite of it which I posted on the spur of the moment. The main focus was the same though, just differently worded.

Reactions: Lynne