Kitchen disasters

This one didn't require cooking but it was a kitchen disaster! We had received a gallon GLASS jug of apple cider from someone. Well, it sat in the fridge, somebody drank one glass of it at some point, then sat there some more. I kept thinking, darn, I need to throw that out. And, as happens with small kids and working, it just didn't happen. One day as we sat eating dinner, the fridge door blew open and glass was flying all over as a small explosion happened in the fridge! Blew that door half off the fridge and glass was embedded in the walls. Luckily, we were in the dining room and shielded, but wow! Fermenting created a cider bomb.
Wow ! Thanks for the warning, I did not know this. I mean maybe a jar cracking but a bomb!! Wow, I will be more careful from now on.

I think my worst was after being newly married (had no idea about cooking ), I decided to try making spaghetti. I opened several of those little paste cans because it just wasn’t enough. Bless my husband because he didn’t want to hurt my feelings , he made an attempt at eating it. I know now that tomato paste needs to be diluted lol.

Definitely. Luckily, I’ve only done it once so far. But I’m sure it will happen again at some point.
Lone, I now hang a visible trigger object on the handle of anything where I’ve temporarily stored food. For example, I have a pair of wood tongs that I slip into the handle of the microwave if I stash food there.

Because I’m fearful I might leave something out like you did, I put a trigger object on the post of our stairwell so that if I walk away from the kitchen - like planning to go to bed - I will be reminded to deal with the kitchen first. Typically I just drape one of our kitchen tea towels over the stair post.

Lone, I now hang a visible trigger object on the handle of anything where I’ve temporarily stored food. For example, I have a pair of wood tongs that I slip into the handle of the microwave if I stash food there.

Because I’m fearful I might leave something out like you did, I put a trigger object on the post of our stairwell so that if I walk away from the kitchen - like planning to go to bed - I will be reminded to deal with the kitchen first. Typically I just drape one of our kitchen tea towels over the stair post.
I should do something like that. I just make a mental note so that I won’t do what I did again. Once it cools off, into the fridge it goes.

Last edited:
Debi's cookbook was written by The Unibomber. Sheesh......
A big light bulb went off in my head when I started to follow Chef Michael Symon on TV and his books. His thing is to get the right balance of sweet, salt, acid, and fat. The big trendy thing right now is pickled red onions on steak. He was doing that 20 years ago. The acid cuts through the fat sort of like vinegar on fish and chips.

Stuff like this comes in handy when I make a big batch of whatever and overdo it in one direction. Usually a call to my mom or brother can save it- ie., a pasta sauce that is way too acidic. You can counteract that with sugar or sweet red wine. My brother had a great idea and because it was the middle of the night and I couldn't get my hands on wine or sugar, he rec'd fine chopped carrots. Brilliant, and it tastes like a vibrant seasoned vegetable sauce rather than kiddie sauce. Now it's standard practice!

But yeah, too many times ....
Oohh. When I first got into cooking with cast iron I left a small skillet outside because it was full of smoking fat. It was winter time and it got covered up in the snow and I forgot about it. Springtime comes and I have a pan full of cast iron rust and throw it away. Idiot me did not realize that I could have easily use a small sandblaster on it. Or dissolved it in rust remover. Or hit it with a wire brush on an angle grinder.
Offff...

My great egg explosion story! I put on a dozen eggs to boil. Forgot them. Pan ran dry. Did you know eggs explode? Oh, and the pan....we won't talk about that. lol
i did the same thing but with a dozen eggs and a microwave, actually blew the door off and eggs 40 foot across the room....and a look of fear on a dining area full of customers.