Kitchen disasters

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

What’s your biggest screw up in the kitchen?​

Whether you did it when you were a kid or a misguided college student, you’ve had a seriously bad screw up in the kitchen. So what happened?

Did you mangle a recipe or set something on fire?

1609791108238.png

I had my boss at the time and his friends over for dinner. I had to make a good impression so I made three fancy curry dishes. The smell was unbelievably good until I tried them before serving. I nearly burnt my mouth out as I had over done the amount of curry. I quickly ordered some take away and kept topping up their glasses until it arrived and they hardly remembered the night, :sweat:

Oh boy.....
Gotta hour ?
The funniest one ever happened to my brother. He was taking care of his friends dog who lived about 10 miles away. 2X a day, for a week. It was early evening and my brother lived up on Lake Michigan and a strong blizzard was brewing over the lake. Treeman batten down his hatches want to drive 10 miles south to take care of the dog and probably wind up spending the night there - or longer.
Takes care of Gauge ( our friend is in airplane mechanic ) pops one of is frozen pizzas in the oven. Goes to take a nap and figures the timer will wake him up, nada, - smoke alarm.
Now he has to air out the house in the middle of winter with high winds. Undeterred he put another pizza in the oven and started drinking. This time it started to smoke up as it burned. But it wasn't his fault because he was in the basement playing with our friends pinball machine.

Strike 3 happened also.
But he was convinced that he was still going to have to spend the night so he sat in the kitchen well into a 12 pack, and successfully cooked the fourth frozen pizza !

It just goes to show you that my brother has a lot of grit and determination.

This one didn't require cooking but it was a kitchen disaster! We had received a gallon GLASS jug of apple cider from someone. Well, it sat in the fridge, somebody drank one glass of it at some point, then sat there some more. I kept thinking, darn, I need to throw that out. And, as happens with small kids and working, it just didn't happen. One day as we sat eating dinner, the fridge door blew open and glass was flying all over as a small explosion happened in the fridge! Blew that door half off the fridge and glass was embedded in the walls. Luckily, we were in the dining room and shielded, but wow! Fermenting created a cider bomb.

Off the top of my head, I left a massive pot of freshly made chili out one night. And if I could have kicked my own butt for that, I would have.
I have probably no fewer than four stories but I’ll tag along with Lone. I made some great authentic Mexican beef to be shredded and used in tacos for example. I placed the meat on a platter in the microwave to cool then got drunk and went to sleep. I found the meat in the morning still in the microwave ;vo

Oh boy.....
Gotta hour ?
The funniest one ever happened to my brother. He was taking care of his friends dog who lived about 10 miles away. 2X a day, for a week. It was early evening and my brother lived up on Lake Michigan and a strong blizzard was brewing over the lake. Treeman batten down his hatches want to drive 10 miles south to take care of the dog and probably wind up spending the night there - or longer.
Takes care of Gauge ( our friend is in airplane mechanic ) pops one of is frozen pizzas in the oven. Goes to take a nap and figures the timer will wake him up, nada, - smoke alarm.
Now he has to air out the house in the middle of winter with high winds. Undeterred he put another pizza in the oven and started drinking. This time it started to smoke up as it burned. But it wasn't his fault because he was in the basement playing with our friends pinball machine.

Strike 3 happened also.
But he was convinced that he was still going to have to spend the night so he sat in the kitchen well into a 12 pack, and successfully cooked the fourth frozen pizza !

It just goes to show you that my brother has a lot of grit and determination.
yes frozen culinary experiments whilst drunk can be colorful