Jail if you're over 12 and Trick or treat!

How did this thread go from trick or treater curfews to battle, tortures and killing? Big old jump there. I return you now to Should trick or treaters over the age of 12 get fined or charged with a misdemeanor. :)
Sorry it's just the same legislative tricks. 2 peas in a pod.

Reactions: Debi
I think that Trick or Treating should be for grade school kids, but having said that, I am not sure about having the law involved.

Reactions: ghostkind
Virginia city threatens to fine Halloween trick-or-treaters over age 12 to prevent mischief

Officials in Chesapeake are threatening to fine or jail trick-or-treaters over the age 12 on Halloween to prevent teens from misbehaving on the holiday.

According to a city ordinance code, those over 12 who “engage in the activity commonly known as ‘trick or treat’ or any other activity of similar character or nature under any name whatsoever” could face a fine up to $100 or face jail time of up to six months.

People who are out past 8 p.m. on Halloween could also face a similar fine or jail sentence.

The city, however, insisted cops won’t be actively seeking out trick-or-treaters who are violating the rules. Officials said the ordinance is in place as a safety precaution.

“Chesapeake Police staff will focus on making sure the evening is safe for everyone,” the city wrote on its website. “For example, a 13-year-old safely trick-or-treating with a younger sibling is not going to have any issues. That same child taking pumpkins from porches and smashing them in the street more likely will.”

Chesapeake isn’t the only city in Virginia with strict rules on Halloween. Officials in Norfolk and Newport News also banned children older than 12 from trick-or-treating, classifying it as a “Class 4 misdemeanor.”
do they put 13-year-old's in jail? and what if the 13-year-old doesn't have the money in his piggy bank to pay the fine?

Reactions: garnetsilver
I guess they are targeting trouble makers Detroit has devils night which is thwe day before they do a 6pm curfew.

Officials clarified the ordinance a bit, they aren't going after anyone over 12 safely trick or treating. That includes older siblings taking younger siblings out, they shouldn't have any issues.

The ordinance is directed at any troublemakers. The city is also strict on the schedule for Halloween, with city code stating any person trick-or-treating after 8 p.m. will be guilty of a misdemeanor and punished by up to a $100.00 fine or jail time of up to 30 days, or both.

The ordinance reads as follows:

Sec. 46-8. - Trick or treat activities.

(a) If any person over the age of 12 years shall engage in the activity commonly known as "trick or treat" or any other activity of similar character or nature under any name whatsoever, he or she shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be punished by a fine of not less than $25.00 nor more than $100.00 or by confinement in jail for not more than six months or both.

Here it's called guisin' although in recent years trick or treat has migrated here from the US. Only ever primary school age (up to 11), would do this and only in your own street after dark. You'd be invited in and had to perform like a song, story, joke or whatever it was great fun. Then the party when we got home, dookin for apples, get to eat some of your candy (and share it), followed by a Halloween cake which had icing like a face and had wee trinkets baked in like plastic toys. I don't think they do that anymore because of the choking hazard.

It's unbelievable that you folks now have laws in some states, criminalise a kid for dressing up knocking on doors, a tradition that goes way back. Sometimes I just hate this world did these lawmakers and enforcement never do this as kids?

Picking up on what Noble said : So, will these kids have to carry photo ID, or risk going to jail ?
To me, this simply comes down to a certain type of person that wants to regulate every aspect of our lives, no matter how mundane.