Jail if you're over 12 and Trick or treat!

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Virginia city threatens to fine Halloween trick-or-treaters over age 12 to prevent mischief

Officials in Chesapeake are threatening to fine or jail trick-or-treaters over the age 12 on Halloween to prevent teens from misbehaving on the holiday.

According to a city ordinance code, those over 12 who “engage in the activity commonly known as ‘trick or treat’ or any other activity of similar character or nature under any name whatsoever” could face a fine up to $100 or face jail time of up to six months.

People who are out past 8 p.m. on Halloween could also face a similar fine or jail sentence.

The city, however, insisted cops won’t be actively seeking out trick-or-treaters who are violating the rules. Officials said the ordinance is in place as a safety precaution.

“Chesapeake Police staff will focus on making sure the evening is safe for everyone,” the city wrote on its website. “For example, a 13-year-old safely trick-or-treating with a younger sibling is not going to have any issues. That same child taking pumpkins from porches and smashing them in the street more likely will.”

Chesapeake isn’t the only city in Virginia with strict rules on Halloween. Officials in Norfolk and Newport News also banned children older than 12 from trick-or-treating, classifying it as a “Class 4 misdemeanor.”

Reactions: Paintman
Halloween used to be FUN! And as kids, we got dressed up on Halloween, not some other night chosen by city officials (like where I live, the kids get two hours to Trick or Treat on the 26th of this month!) The thing that made it so fun to go out on Halloween night was that the veil between the two worlds was thinner, and that you might actually see something spooky! When it becomes a police matter, it makes you not want to even bother with it. I remember one Halloween, my daughter and I dressed up as a witches, and had candy for the kids passing by. A group of teen aged boys wearing girls Catholic school uniforms for costumes showed up and had me laughing so hard I dropped the candy. They looked so funny with their bony knees showing, and they were not being disrespectful or causing trouble, plus they gave me a good laugh. That is what Halloween should be like - people having fun.

It's like they do with everything else they make legal precursors so they can use the law ambiguously to throw anyone in jail and give them stiffer sentences. It's a common tactic of eroding freedom.

I don't know if 12 is the right age, but I'm all for setting an age limit on trick or treaters. We live at the end of a large cul-de-sac, and I've seen kids drive up by the car loads and go door-to-door. Assuming the kids driving have a valid licence, that means they are at least 16. I've also been astounding at the revealing outfits some of the older girls have worn coming to our door. Two years ago I asked one of them what she was dressed up as. I was stunned when she said, "A street walker." High schools students have no business trick or treating.

I heard this topic discussed a few years back on a local talk show, one caller had the best idea I've heard. He said he told his children once they decided they were too old to visit Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny at the mall, they were too old to trick or treat.

They did the same thing with the NDAA and definitions of "combatant" and "battle" that would make it legal for them to kill torture or detain anyone anywhere on earth, without any oversight. even made it to where any federal agent can write a warrant on anything at any time. So a federal agent can literally write a target list on a bar napkin and it be totally legal and fully binding.

They did the same thing with the NDAA and definitions of "combatant" and "battle" that would make it legal for them to kill torture or detain anyone anywhere on earth, without any oversight. even made it to where any federal agent can write a warrant on anything at any time. So a federal agent can literally write a target list on a bar napkin and it be totally legal and fully binding.
How did this thread go from trick or treater curfews to battle, tortures and killing? Big old jump there. I return you now to Should trick or treaters over the age of 12 get fined or charged with a misdemeanor. :)

Last edited: