Jacob's Ladder Remake

Ultima Thule

Reaction score
The remake is now on Netflix (Jacob's Ladder 2019). I'm looking forward to it. I liked the original 1990 Jacob's Ladder with its conspiracy themed story based on the Army experimenting on its own troops during Vietnam using psychotropic drugs. The first one is notable in how X-File-like it was 3 years before the X-Files came out. It's also one of the handful of movies that I still have on VHS. The new one didn't seem to get good reviews. But I'm going to watch tonight anyway.

The remake is now on Netflix (Jacob's Ladder 2019). I'm looking forward to it. I liked the original 1990 Jacob's Ladder with its conspiracy themed story based on the Army experimenting on its own troops during Vietnam using psychotropic drugs. The first one is notable in how X-File-like it was 3 years before the X-Files came out. It's also one of the handful of movies that I still have on VHS. The new one didn't seem to get good reviews. But I'm going to watch tonight anyway.
Give us a review after you've watched it!

I did watch it last night. The upside is that it kept me watching. That's rare because most movies nowadays can't seem to overcome my short attention span. And so I usually watch movies in two parts. But I think it may have been mostly because I was constantly watching for parallels to the original film and thus it kept me actively engaged. I would therefore call the 2019 version of Jacob's Ladder a must-see for those who liked the original. What it's like for those who haven't seen the original, I can't really say. There are enough twists and turns to maybe make it confusing, because it constantly shifts, through the eyes of Jacob, the protagonist, between the normal and paranormal; and it is thus for the viewer to keep it all sorted out. In any case, I would definitely say the remake of Jacob's Ladder has both strong anti-war and anti-drug themes. Yet, it will leave those craving a more conspiratorially themed X-File lacking. Rather, and to me surprisingly, key elements are more altruistically framed and a large part of the responsibility for what happens during the film is even shifted onto the protagonist. And that aspect, I think, is really a reflection of the social and political undercurrents of our times.

Reactions: Paintman