It was bad...

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
"What was the worst job, or assignment within a job, you ever had? What made it bad for you?"

Reactions: garnetsilver
I can think of a couple during my student days. One was a temp job where a small group of people were hired for the job. We had to spend the day walking around a tall, round table, that held stacks of papers arranged in a circle. Our job was to pick up one sheet from each stack, collating them into packets of papers. I guess the company couldn't afford one of those huge photocopiers that did collating. It was horribly boring!

Another one was a summer job at a clothing factory. There was another student there and I would have died of boredom if she weren't there to exchange complaints with! (The other employees did not speak English) Our task was to affix these little rings of plastic with a price tag attached, onto the garments. We had to use a sort of ticket gun to put them on. The big change in the job was when we had to go upstairs and do some equally boring task, can't remember but it involved doing something with clothing too. We spent the day either longing to go downstairs, or back upstairs when the work grew too monotonous. And we were both thankful that we were able to attend school,so that we could have a better future.

Worst job I had was at a hospital for drug addicts and alcoholics, I looked after the grounds and filled holes punched through walls. I didn't know I had to help restrain people coming down. I only stayed a fortnight. I thought my head would explode from the misery I was feeling from the patients.

Before LD, I worked for Archway Cookies in my early 20's. The bad reputation of the company, dated equipment that more often than not would fail at the worst possible moments and having a difficult time just getting paid for the job made it one of the worst ones I've ever had.

Back in the mid 90s, while between program assignments, I was put in charge of moving our engineering organization to a new, purpose built facility. Seemingly no one was satisfied with their new digs or willing to throw out old files, everyone wanted more storage space, and the really bigwigs complained about the size of their offices compared to others. One civilian GO equivalent even measured his office and argued he should have had the one two doors down that was four inches longer. Then when the conference room sharing plan was explained, the s#*t really hit the fan. I was absolutely miserable for 3-4 months, and got zero recognition for doing a truly thankless job.

Summer job between sophomore and jr. year of high school, worked for a commercial sandblasting company. It was almost literally like working in hell once the day started to get hot, the constant stinging. Sand in every orifice of my body.
That job toughened me up, I could face other hard jobs in life better prepared and mentally disciplined, thanks to those three months.

I have not had many JOBS that I disliked but have worked for some of the biggest asses in the world. I have never understood why some people feel that if you aren't making everyone that works for you miserable that you are not the "Boss". I have never put up with much. I am a skilled craftsman in several trades and finding a new job has never been a problem. In the end, I started my own company and lived happily ever after. If I had a customer act like an ass I would just gather up my tools and leave. I had a couple BEG me to return and I did but my hourly wage for putting up with them was about double. They paid it and kept their mouth shut and after a while, I cut them some slack and lowered my wage back to the standard level.