ISS Leak was MAN MADE!

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Leak on ISS was 'drilled from the inside' - Unexplained Mysteries

news-iss-drill-hole.jpg

Russian investigators now believe that the hole in the ISS was created from the inside, not from the outside.
Originally thought to have been the result of a meteorite impact, the tiny hole was discovered last week after flight controllers picked up an unexplained drop in cabin pressure.

The leak turned out to be aboard the Soyuz MS-09 spacecraft that is currently docked at the station.

While the astronauts were able to successfully seal off the hole with tape, worrying evidence has since been found suggesting that a small space rock might not have been responsible after all.

Instead, according to a special commission set up by Russia's space agency Roscosmos, the hole appears to have been made from the inside of the capsule using a drill.

"We are considering all the theories," said Roscosmos head Dmitry Rogozin. "The one about a meteorite impact has been rejected because the ship's hull was evidently impacted from inside."

"It was done by a human hand - there are traces of a drill sliding along the surface."

"It is a matter of honor for Energia Rocket and Space Corporation to find the one responsible for that, to find out whether it was an accidental defect or a deliberate spoilage and where it was done - either on Earth or in space."

Reactions: Paintman
If the hole in the Soyuz had been drilled prior to launch, why didn't it leak during the flight to the ISS? More importantly, can the hole be repaired sufficiently to allow the crew to return to Earth and then go through reentry?

Reactions: TonyM and Debi
If the hole in the Soyuz had been drilled prior to launch, why didn't it leak during the flight to the ISS? More importantly, can the hole be repaired sufficiently to allow the crew to return to Earth and then go through reentry?
All good questions and I'm not sure even they have the answers yet. The question is...Why? The Who will tell us the Why most likely, but we've always had peace up there in space on that station. Why now and what is the motive?

It's been speculated that a temporary repair was made which held until now. That stage stays in orbit as it's separate from the descent stage so no danger to the crew

Reactions: Paintman and Debi
It's been speculated that a temporary repair was made which held until now. That stage stays in orbit as it's separate from the descent stage so no danger to the crew

That's possible I suppose, although the idea of a temporary repair to a vehicle being sent into space seems a bit odd. If that's the case, I'd think it was done without following approved tech data. I'm sure a pressure test was conducted prior to launch, however.

So the hole is not actually in the capsule?

Reactions: TonyM
That's possible I suppose, although the idea of a temporary repair to a vehicle being sent into space seems a bit odd. If that's the case, I'd think it was done without following approved tech data. I'm sure a pressure test was conducted prior to launch, however.

So the hole is not actually in the capsule?

Yeah I'm surprised the vehicle passed muster before flight. The hole isn't in the descent stage so poses no danger to the crew, I believe it can be operated unpressurised and only when it was docked with the ISS with no pressure seal was it noticed. Still something very strange and unprecedented.

Reactions: Debi
Ok, I see what you mean now. The leak is in what would be analogous to the service module on the old Apollo system, not in the crew capsule itself.

15210564885_aa7fa8f723_k-1024x680.jpg

Reactions: Paintman and TonyM
Ok, I see what you mean now. The leak is in what would be analogous to the service module on the old Apollo system, not in the crew capsule itself.

View attachment 14760

Yes but I suspect a thorough inspection of the descent stage and possibly other modules will be conducted just in case