Is the Universe Conscious?

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Scientists Now Believe That The Universe Itself Is Conscious

A new scientific concept has recently come to light, which scientists are calling “panpsychism.” Panpsychism says that the universe could be capable of consciousness, which could change everything.

For quite some time, scientists have been working to understand the universe, where it came from, and why we are here. However, they have often come up short until now. The scientist responsible for such a notion is Gregory Matloff, and his ideas are shocking, to say the least.

According to Matloff, a physicist at New York City College of Technology, in his recently published paper, humans could be like the rest of the universe, in substance and in spirit. Futurism reported that a “proto-consciousness field” could extend throughout all space. Basically, in lamens terms, the entire cosmos could be self-aware.

Another supporter of panpsychism is Christof Koch of the Allen Institute for Brain Science. He says that biological organisms are conscious because when they approach a new situation, they are able to change their behavior in order to thwart a bad situation. Due to this view, he is trying to see if he can measure the level of consciousness a being displays.

In order to accomplish this, he will be running a number of experiments, including one that includes wiring the brains of two mice together to see if the information will flow between the two like a fused, integrated system would.

“The only dominant theory we have of consciousness says that it is associated with complexity — with a system’s ability to act upon its own state and determine its own fate,” Koch argues. “Theory states that it could go down to very simple systems. In principle, some purely physical systems that are not biological or organic may also be conscious.”

As it stands, panpsychism is just in the experimental phase. However, if scientists are able to prove their theory, it could shake the world of science to its core. What do you think, is the universe conscious?

What a good video. It dumbed down quantum physics so I could get an idea of how it works. Thanks debi

i thought it said some scientist actually performed that experiment.
No cats were harmed in the making of the expiroments lol. I believe it was a theoretical example only. But I like how you think. I’m an animal lover too.

Reactions: ghostkind
Before manifestation of this physical universe, that which did exist might well have been simply pure consciousness, at which stage, not even conscious of its own existence.
Now it's not too difficult to imagine, at some point, a sense of "I exist" emerging out of the all-pervading consciousness.
This self-awareness would have caused the consciousness to pull itself together, concentrate into one single point.

After that, expansion took place; and it was this expansion that began the process of creation.

Yes, this physical universe certainly appears solid to us, but its original source may well be something far more subtle, xx

Reactions: Paulm and ozentity
I'm not educated on these things but its close to the beliefs I've always had.

Before manifestation of this physical universe, that which did exist might well have been simply pure consciousness, at which stage, not even conscious of its own existence.
Now it's not too difficult to imagine, at some point, a sense of "I exist" emerging out of the all-pervading consciousness.
This self-awareness would have caused the consciousness to pull itself together, concentrate into one single point.

After that, expansion took place; and it was this expansion that began the process of creation.

Yes, this physical universe certainly appears solid to us, but its original source may well be something far more subtle, xx
This would make a good meditation thought. Very deep Cass

xx

but in order for it to be conscious it has to be aware of its own existence..(by the most simple definition of consciousness...in this situation)....
and if you add the "I EXIST" into the equation you have now introduced "EGO" which nullifies all practices to return to the source, we are all one, blah blah blah....not saying its not so, just saying that if this is the case then there are gonna be a lot of disappointed ppl....lol. and this would re write a lot of beliefs of simpleness....letting go kinda stuff.
just rambling here, gonna stop now.

edited to add... not saying the universe isn't conscious, just saying we may not be able to understand the full concept of the workings of life the way we think we can...... and we deffinately cannot describe it in mere words.

Reactions: Cass and Debi