Is the Killing Season here?

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
April ushers in 'the killing season,' mass murder researchers say

Mass-murder researchers and terrorism experts do not like turning their calendars to April. For them, it marks the beginning of what one calls "the killing season."

Timothy McVeigh blew up a federal building in Oklahoma City in April 1995. Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold killed 13 people at Columbine High School in April 1999. Seung Hui Cho killed 32 students and teachers at Virginia Tech in April 2007.

Waco. The Boston Marathon bombing. A mass stabbing in Pennsylvania.

Over the past two decades, April's significance has become a source of concern for those who monitor hate groups and fascination for academics who study the seasonality of violence.

Aggravated assaults spike in summer -- people are outside more and the heat agitates. Burglars take the winter off because people hibernate in their homes. But why would April, with its cheerful tulips and spring sunshine, trigger so much extreme violence?

"It's a question we talk about all the time," said Heidi Beirich, a domestic terrorism expert at the Southern Poverty Law Center, one of two groups that have issued April-related violence alerts. "It's a really strange phenomenon. We sometimes refer to April as the beginning of killing season."

Full story at site.

I suppose its how you look at things. After the winter cold, April and a warming period results in more activity in plants and animals. I choose to look at spring as a time of growth; foliage on trees begins, flowers pop out of the ground, birds return and start singing, I can walk outside in bare feet to retrieve the morning newspaper.

Reactions: Debi
April ushers in 'the killing season,' mass murder researchers say

Mass-murder researchers and terrorism experts do not like turning their calendars to April. For them, it marks the beginning of what one calls "the killing season."

Timothy McVeigh blew up a federal building in Oklahoma City in April 1995. Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold killed 13 people at Columbine High School in April 1999. Seung Hui Cho killed 32 students and teachers at Virginia Tech in April 2007.

Waco. The Boston Marathon bombing. A mass stabbing in Pennsylvania.

Over the past two decades, April's significance has become a source of concern for those who monitor hate groups and fascination for academics who study the seasonality of violence.

Aggravated assaults spike in summer -- people are outside more and the heat agitates. Burglars take the winter off because people hibernate in their homes. But why would April, with its cheerful tulips and spring sunshine, trigger so much extreme violence?

"It's a question we talk about all the time," said Heidi Beirich, a domestic terrorism expert at the Southern Poverty Law Center, one of two groups that have issued April-related violence alerts. "It's a really strange phenomenon. We sometimes refer to April as the beginning of killing season."

Full story at site.

I was thinking about this topic today... Earth goes through yearly cycles all the time. Why is there "tornado" season, or hurricane season. Usually the same time frame each year... I do NOT think April has any special significance for violence over most other times. Just with the Internet, people are able to track/research much easier....

This means we all have to step up our intentions for safety and peace this month. Let's get going!!

That reminds me today is Hitlers birthday the killing season of
April..

I was thinking about this topic today... Earth goes through yearly cycles all the time. Why is there "tornado" season, or hurricane season. Usually the same time frame each year... I do NOT think April has any special significance for violence over most other times. Just with the Internet, people are able to track/research much easier....
Good point, Noble. But I'm still watching for it! lol